Notices

de tango daft question

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 10:44 PM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question de tango daft question

got the lights out, 05 STI all screws out do you warm up the unit to split the unit if so how and how long, i know its been on here loads of time but help a new scooby owner out you lads and lasses in the know
cheers in advance
mick
Old 10 April 2005, 10:49 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

yep needs heating up in the oven...... as for temp etc i dont know as i got A JDM with de tango'd lights already... sure someone will advise temp/time........ sounds real harsh to me.......
Old 10 April 2005, 10:50 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

I believe you cut through the sealant with a blade of some sort. I certainly wouldn't put the unit in the oven which has been suggested on here somewhere. Maybe heat up the sealant with a hairdryer??????
Old 10 April 2005, 11:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

10 minutes on about 100 degrees. Ensure you have removed all bulbs and connected wiring, and I usually cover the levelling motor with tinfoil. Make sure you've got all the screws out as there are 2 hidden ones (1 beneath the white nylon bracket and 1 below some foam padding). With the caulk sealant softened it will pull apart with the sealant clinging to each side like mozzarella, so try to tease it back to one side or the other keeping it well clear of the reflectors. Once open unscrew the reflector trim and pop out the tango wedge, then screw back the reflector and push back together. then put back in the oven to resoften the caulk. Push together firmly and refit screws, bulbs, wires and bracket.
Old 10 April 2005, 11:35 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Spot on..
Originally Posted by corradoboy
10 minutes on about 100 degrees. Ensure you have removed all bulbs and connected wiring, and I usually cover the levelling motor with tinfoil. Make sure you've got all the screws out as there are 2 hidden ones (1 beneath the white nylon bracket and 1 below some foam padding). With the caulk sealant softened it will pull apart with the sealant clinging to each side like mozzarella, so try to tease it back to one side or the other keeping it well clear of the reflectors. Once open unscrew the reflector trim and pop out the tango wedge, then screw back the reflector and push back together. then put back in the oven to resoften the caulk. Push together firmly and refit screws, bulbs, wires and bracket.
Old 11 April 2005, 07:55 AM
mickyjeff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie rich
Spot on..
thanks you two will do them this morning
cheers mick
Old 11 April 2005, 09:10 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

I always reheat the the lights once I have put them back together before I refit the screws !

That softens the sealant then they fit tighter once the screws are done up & therefore dont mist up !

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2005, 06:10 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickyjeff
got the lights out, 05 STI all screws out do you warm up the unit to split the unit if so how and how long, i know its been on here loads of time but help a new scooby owner out you lads and lasses in the know
cheers in advance
mick
How about doing the blacked headlight mod too? looks good. just put that into a search and it will find it for you plus a link to the de tango instructions origanlly posted. Willsy
Old 21 April 2005, 06:49 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I used a heat gun as i didn't fancy putting them in the oven, make sure you have some oven gloves as they bloody hot, agree with fulham71 heat them up again when you put them back together