Ignition Barrel & Immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2005, 03:18 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ignition Barrel & Immobiliser

Hi

If I change the ignition barrel & key, will I need to have the immobiliser bit recoded (is this on the ECU?) and is there anyone other than a dealer that can do it, and roughly what sort of price

or can the immobiliser be bypassed (temporarily), and something like BlackJax used instead

Scoob is UK MY97 with a Scorpion Alarm

Cheers

Steve
Old 24 January 2005, 11:30 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Hi

If I change the ignition barrel & key, will I need to have the immobiliser bit recoded (is this on the ECU?) and is there anyone other than a dealer that can do it, and roughly what sort of price

or can the immobiliser be bypassed (temporarily), and something like BlackJax used instead

Scoob is UK MY97 with a Scorpion Alarm

Cheers

Steve
I imagine that if it is similar to a 99 model that the ignition key contains a small transponder chip that controls the engine ECU.
You should be able to tell if you drop the steering cowls and look around the ignition barrel for an electronic unit (receiver)in close proximty to the barrel.
If you have one of these, then the transponder immobiliser switches the engine ECU - although not Thatcham Category 2 approved, it is "software locked" and I dont believe it can be by-passed easily.
You could fit the new barrel and just secure the old key within the steering cowls to allow the ECU to detect the original key and allow the vehicle to run.
Best of luck
SS
Old 17 February 2005, 11:41 AM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what year Scoobs have the transponder in the key? I'm looking for an engine for another car and need to know which parts I will need... Also looking at Jap cars, do they have the transponder too?

Cheers, Rich

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
I imagine that if it is similar to a 99 model that the ignition key contains a small transponder chip that controls the engine ECU.
You should be able to tell if you drop the steering cowls and look around the ignition barrel for an electronic unit (receiver)in close proximty to the barrel.
If you have one of these, then the transponder immobiliser switches the engine ECU - although not Thatcham Category 2 approved, it is "software locked" and I dont believe it can be by-passed easily.
You could fit the new barrel and just secure the old key within the steering cowls to allow the ECU to detect the original key and allow the vehicle to run.
Best of luck
SS
Old 17 February 2005, 05:12 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

As already said, take the transponder out of the key and glue it onto the plastic cowling that fits around the ignition barrell, this is what you do with the newer cars if you fancy the metal STI key (see IRA for them).

There is no need to have the ECU recoded but you are obviously leaving yourself open to the ignition being ripped out and the car started without the correct key.

Zippy
Old 17 February 2005, 07:29 PM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

My problem is that I may not have the original key, so I need to know if there are particular models that are/not integrated with the ECU

Rich

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
As already said, take the transponder out of the key and glue it onto the plastic cowling that fits around the ignition barrell, this is what you do with the newer cars if you fancy the metal STI key (see IRA for them).

There is no need to have the ECU recoded but you are obviously leaving yourself open to the ignition being ripped out and the car started without the correct key.

Zippy
Old 18 February 2005, 09:39 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Richard Olafsson
My problem is that I may not have the original key, so I need to know if there are particular models that are/not integrated with the ECU

Rich
Since we started working with the factory in '99 all UK Imprezas have had a transponder immobiliser built-in (although not to Category 2 spec until 2001 - not that this will make an earlier car any easier to by-pass, as both are software locked in the ECU). This will also apply to European cars the immobiliser is an EU requirement.
I cannot speak for earlier cars or non-EU cars, but generally they try to keep production processes the same for all right hand drive cars, so I would imagine that you would need the key-chip for a "standard" engine/ecu from a RHD car at least.
However, depending if non EU production cars with higher performance engines/chipped ECUs are modified after production (as they are in the UK) or built as such from the outset, it may be that they have had the immobiliser by-passed internally to prevent ECU/Key matching problems on build.
To be on the safe side I would try and source an ECU complete with it's key chip, or if sourcing the motor from Japan, to make further enquiries with them.
SS