Notices

HID LIGHTING.........

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2004, 10:39 AM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID LIGHTING.........

guy's which is the best make to buy ( STi 8 ) as there are so many kits available.

regards "MADDOG"
Old 14 October 2004, 10:42 AM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

MADDOG

Try ringing Gericia Tel: 0208 361 9222 for soem helpfull advice.
Their web site is : www.gericia.com - Mostly german car accessories but they do HID kits aswell.

Mr Gee
Old 14 October 2004, 01:03 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Autolamps on line. They did a group buy for us about 18 months ago. Nick who is MD posts here sometimes, very knowledgeable, very helpful. They're here .
Old 14 October 2004, 08:40 PM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, I will give them a call

regards "MADDOG"
Old 20 October 2004, 06:45 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

So Maddog, which are the best, did you call them?!

Dan
Old 20 October 2004, 06:53 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Philips make a kit which is excellent quality.
Old 20 October 2004, 07:44 PM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

Guys, phoned up and spoke to a person who knows everything about HID lighting, have a look at www.hid-online.com best of luck.

regards "MADDOG"
Old 22 October 2004, 11:03 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Default HID clarification

Always glad to help and happy to continue the group buy if it’s of interest.

The purpose of posting here is actually to try and eliminate all the myths and half facts associated with vehicle lighting. I have been in this industry for 20 plus years in over 40 countries so imagine how exciting I am for dinner!!!

I am often travelling but will do my best to answer any lighting questions you may have so post away.

Just a clarifier here on this post.
No Philips do not make an HID kit and you will NEVER find such a product. The facts are as follows.

Philips today supplies approx 68% of the world OE market with Xenon/Gas Discharge/HID lamps. This product is known as a D2 product and has a specific base to fit either ellipsoidal or free for reflectors. Philips has also co developed an electronic ballast system in cooperation with Hella in Germany. This product is sold and branded as either Hella or Philips and the differences are marginal. Many many second bit aftermarket accessory companies have taken the OE situation and the fact of the Philips ballast brand to sell claimed 'Philips Kits'. What they are in most cases is Philips ballast or ASIAN Philips copies with Asian lamps sold on the back of the Philips name. These kits are created by people and companies with no lighting experience and come and go so fast that the often quoted '10 year warranty' is not worth the paper etc.

The best kits will uses Philips D2 made in Aachen Germany which are optically rebased for a halogen system. These will be coupled to Philips ballast made in Germany as accompanied by a relayed wiring harness. It’s still not Philips though and quality and performance is dependent on who and how it’s been designed.

Another myth is the colour temperature. This is not like wattage. Therefore an OE lamp today has 4200K and is the brightest (highest luminance) lamp you can get. 7000K-12000K products are all Asian, made for fashion have very short lifes and very poor light output. This gets progressively worse the higher the claimed colour temperature. This may help as degrees K are purely a colour point measured in X and Y coordinates measured on the Black Body Curve.
http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/...colourtemp.htm
http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/home.htm

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
Old 27 October 2004, 09:27 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Autolamps

The purpose of posting here is actually to try and eliminate all the myths and half facts associated with vehicle lighting. I have been in this industry for 20 plus years in over 40 countries so imagine how exciting I am for dinner!!!

I am often travelling but will do my best to answer any lighting questions you may have so post away.

No Philips do not make an HID kit and you will NEVER find such a product. The facts are as follows.

Philips today supplies approx 68% of the world OE market with Xenon/Gas Discharge/HID lamps. This product is known as a D2 product and has a specific base to fit either ellipsoidal or free for reflectors. Philips has also co developed an electronic ballast system in cooperation with Hella in Germany. This product is sold and branded as either Hella or Philips and the differences are marginal. Many many second bit aftermarket accessory companies have taken the OE situation and the fact of the Philips ballast brand to sell claimed 'Philips Kits'. What they are in most cases is Philips ballast or ASIAN Philips copies with Asian lamps sold on the back of the Philips name. These kits are created by people and companies with no lighting experience and come and go so fast that the often quoted '10 year warranty' is not worth the paper etc.

The best kits will uses Philips D2 made in Aachen Germany which are optically rebased for a halogen system. These will be coupled to Philips ballast made in Germany as accompanied by a relayed wiring harness. It’s still not Philips though and quality and performance is dependent on who and how it’s been designed.

Another myth is the colour temperature. This is not like wattage. Therefore an OE lamp today has 4200K and is the brightest (highest luminance) lamp you can get. 7000K-12000K products are all Asian, made for fashion have very short lifes and very poor light output. This gets progressively worse the higher the claimed colour temperature. This may help as degrees K are purely a colour point measured in X and Y coordinates measured on the Black Body Curve.

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
So the best kit is????????????????????????????????????
Old 27 October 2004, 02:33 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

A 4200K kit from Nick and at a good price too.

Daz
Old 28 October 2004, 11:58 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Dazza,

I've got the 4200K kit in mine if you want a look tonight...?

Andy
Old 29 October 2004, 06:37 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Autolamps

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
Nick,

Can you please PM me with costs for the HID kit for a MY03 WRX?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 30 October 2004, 12:28 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Without preventing Nick from replying, have a look on the websites in his post as there's a price list on one of the pages provided you know what type of bulbs you want in the kit (H1, H7 etc)

Andy
Old 30 October 2004, 09:32 AM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
Nick,

Can you please PM me with costs for the HID kit for a MY03 WRX?

Thanks,
Dan
Nick could you pm me with a cost for these on a 04 WRX? Do you think its worth starting another group buy to get the cost down????

Mark
Old 30 October 2004, 10:55 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

O3 and 04 WRX are the same headlights, check the website for the prices for H1 if you want HID dips and 9005 if you want HID mains.
Old 03 November 2004, 05:38 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
O3 and 04 WRX are the same headlights, check the website for the prices for H1 if you want HID dips and 9005 if you want HID mains.
Happy to continue with the Group Buy and have sent PM's to those who have requested them with the details

Nick