Notices

P1 Gas Discharge Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2001, 07:54 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I've seen mentioned a couple of times that folks have had these lights fitted to their scoobs.
Couple of daft questions then; are these the standard P1 type lights (ie. the small ones that fit in a panel in the foglight space) and secondly can you buy these off a dealer if you don't actually have a P1?
And finally, does anyone have a photo of a non-p1 with these fitted?
Cheers folks
Old 07 May 2001, 08:46 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon

They are the small/main beam lights that are on the P1 and are about £500 for the gas discharge ones.

Puff the magic wagon has got some pictures of his in the general forum( near bottom)

hope this helps
Scott
Old 08 May 2001, 12:18 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Puff
Thanks - those're the ones I was thinking of! Looks very nice.
Think you're right about the lip spoiler though, although I think the STI6 version would be much better than the P1 type (PTMW is a 5 door isn't it?). The P1 version might be a bit much on a 5 door (ie non bloody great rear boot spoiler to "balance" it out).
Old 08 May 2001, 09:00 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Simon

Scott is correct. Not "technically" available to non P1 owners, but they do come up for sale on the BBS sometimes & there are other ways

Needs the lip spoiler too, don't you think?
Old 27 May 2001, 08:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Simon

Just for the reference, here is PTMW! with P1 lip spoiler but with covers.

I think it fits in quite nicely - don't you? Probably need to get the side-skirts sprayed now

Many thanks to Josh for the pic

Old 27 May 2001, 10:54 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

R these fogs or driving lights?

greg
Old 27 May 2001, 11:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

P1 Gas Discharge Lights are the driving light u/grade to the standard P1 driving lights. They throw out a better (bluey/xenon) light than standard but they are not (IMHO) better than SS Cibies but they are effective enough for what is needed & more. SS have Xenon replacements for the standard UK fog into a driving light & that would be better still & probably more on a par with the Cibies.

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2001, 10:20 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

PP

I'm glad that you have immense satisfaction from your driving lights Not having had the benefit of your brilliance (pun ) I had to rely on the words of Pete Croney as to their effectiveness, seeing as he has had both SS Cibies & your lights too

Old 29 May 2001, 12:10 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Cool

ROFL...."more on par with the Cibies".
hmmmm...yes now you come to mention it Puff, I do think my Hella GD FF1000 are just about 'on par' with the Cibies
Old 29 May 2001, 04:25 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Question

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't HID lights designed to work only as dipped beam since they don't work all that well with the frequent dipping required of high beam/driving lights? Or has new technology corrected the problem? I would have thought that installing them in the dipped beam of the Morrette twin headlights is the ideal solution.
Old 29 May 2001, 09:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

lokokkee

Haven't a clue m8 but they work well for me as driving lights Also work when flashed at people, but it takes a second to get to full intensity.

Old 30 May 2001, 11:27 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

lokokkee I have installed some HID's into the main beam of my morettes as I could not get the HID spots I brought to fit behind the P1 spot light covers I have without chopping bits of the car off!

I would of preferred to fit them in place of the dipped beam but, it would of involved using some sort or shield over the lense, plus the outside lamps are of a duel filliment design so I would of gone from 4x55w of high beam power down to 2x55w.

At the moment when I go from dipped to main beam there is a bit of a delay for the HID's to come on but as the outside lamps still have the main beam as well it is not too much of a problem.

The spread of light is very good with the HID's and it does indeed turn night into day! The only downside I have found at the moment is that the depth of light is not very fair but I am going to experiment with changing the depth and rotation of the bulbs and also the aim, as I am sure that I could of mounted them into the lamp more and that the filliment earth strand should be facing down instead of towards the grill, but lack of time has ment that I have been unable to correct these minor niggles.

If at a later date I decide to remove the HID's for some reason it is just a case of refitting the normal bulbs into the morettes as I have not caused any damage to them.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:46 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

I asked because AFAIK, all the OEM HID lights are on the dipped beam only as mentioned, they take a while to reach full intensity, and may be quite inefficient when used, say as a flash, if it takes a second to warm up. I would have thought that the replacement HID kits would have included the filament shield as well to make them a true replacement for the original halogen bulb.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:54 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Surely you would wire them up so that the dip stay on when main selected (thats the way they work on a lot of 4 headlight cars anyway)? That way you aim the dip to cover 'near' then add on main for more range.

Would be interested in what you have got - as you will know from my other post I am currently looking at upgrading my light output.

Neil.
Old 01 June 2001, 09:52 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

lokokkee,
to be road legal in the Uk you must have a main beam, so I would think that the cover would retract from over the bulb when you flashed the lights etc.

As my HID conversion was not planned but as a result of the spots purchased being about 10mm too deep to fit behind the P1 spot cover's they sadly did not come with a shield for the bulb, which is why I wired them into the spot lamps of the morettes.
As I would rather have them used than sitting about collecting dust.

Neil
to tell the truth I am not sure if the dipped stays on when I goto main beam as looking to long at my lights would probably make you go blind! But I suppose that I could pull one of the bulbs out and have a look.

The HId spots I purchased are Hella's and there site is

Old 22 June 2001, 05:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

on the subject of HID lights. Anyone know if the Bellof ones will fit in the headlamps of a MY94 WRX?

Info on them can be found here: