no horn!

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2001, 12:52 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Markus,

Might not be this but worth checking - I had an L series estate and the connection to one of horns (there was two on the L series - one either side of the front bumper) melted of its own accord. Didn't find it for ages as the other horn worked ok. When it melted the smoke was witnessed by someone who phoned the fire brigade !. Might not be this but lots of parts were carried forward from the L series to the Impreza so it might be worth a check.

Kevin

STi 3 wagon
Old 17 May 2001, 10:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

the horn on the blackbeast has stopped working. I think that when I was moving a few switches about (don't ask) I may have pulled a wire or blown a fuse.

Can someone confirm if there is a fuse involved for the horn, if so where is it located and what type is it? 5, 10, 15 etc?

Any ideas of what else to check?
Old 17 May 2001, 08:11 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there is a fuse and i think it is shared with the brakelights there is also a relay but i can' t remember where it is located.
Old 30 May 2001, 12:27 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

right.
Bit more info on this one. Still no horn (stop laughing at the back ) however, I had the number plates off last night and noticed that I've got more horns than I thought!

I've got an extra two! loacated between radiator and bumper, interesting non?

Cant remember what they are called but look nice n big.

Now, what relevance does this have? well, apart from the wiring going back to the relays that I've wondered what they did, it hooks into some wiring to the toggle switch that I disconnected, thus this could explain why the horn is not working. So all I have to do is get a meter on the wires I disconnected and then wire up the switch and see if the horn works. Then it's a case of seeing if I can get the 'new' horns to work.

guess this toggle switch was to turn the big horns on/off, probably due to them being quite loud I'd guess, dunno.

will post when I know more.
Old 06 June 2001, 09:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok, not that anyone is interested! but I've sorted the horn problem.

Basically, as mentioned, I removed the wires from a toggle switch, which had always been on the car (it's a jap import) and which I assumed did nothing.

As I now know this switch had something to do with the horn, my brother reconnected the switch last night, under much duress, and lo and behold I've got my horn back. But better than that I know what the switch does!

As mentioned before I found, when I removed the numberplates some additional air horns behind the grill. Yup, you guessed it, the switch is to switch from the normal 'nissan micra' horn, to some rather nice, loud PAAAAARRRRP, type air horns. Ahh, that's much better.

I have, in the past, flicked the toggle switch and it seemed to do nothing, but I'd never tried it in conjunction with the horn, mainly as I though it was something to do with the additional lights that were fitted to the car.

I am now a very, very happy chappy, and have a big horn