Notices

PIAA Question.........

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 08:24 AM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently thought I had managed to get my hands on a set of second hand PIAA driving lamps, however when I went to collect them they were not what I expected. The lamp lenses were of a similar style to pre MY99 Impreza headlamps (a sort of refractive lens??) and not the clear lens a la MY99/00. As I have a MY00 I was looking for the later.

I realise the PIAA pro 80 lamps have either driving or pencil beam lenses but can anyone tell me the type which match the MY00 headlamps? i.e. what type are fitted to the RB5 as standard?

Thanks
Chris

Old 18 April 2001, 08:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't swear to it, but I don't think any 80 Pro XT lamps are clear - mine are driving and certainly aren't. I suspect that the RB5 may be using fogs?

Old 18 April 2001, 09:53 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The pencil beam DOES have a clear lens....
Old 18 April 2001, 11:44 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Refraction lens pattern = driving beam pattern
Clear lens pattern = pencil beam pattern
Old 18 April 2001, 01:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I learn something, and get something wrong, every day

Cheers!
Old 18 April 2001, 03:05 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

So which is best, pencil or driving beam? Is the pencil beam a lot longer than the driving beam?

I prefer the look of the pencil lenses as they match my headlamps!

Chris
Old 18 April 2001, 03:38 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have the drive beam pattern, and it gives a good spread with a reasonable beam length.

I remember someone else on here a while back had the pencil beams, so if they see this they might like to comment.

The last pair of pencil beam lamps I had were Cibie Turini Apollos, 228mm ( lens diameter; with 100w bulbs in they had a range of about 1 kilometre but a very narrow beam width.

Ultimately a lamp will only put out X amount of illumination no matter what lens pattern it has, if you go for a spread beam it will lack length and vice versa.

From experience (extra drive lamps on just about every car I have had over the last 20 years) I would say the drive beam would probably give you the best of all worlds (or the least compromises). The pencil beam is a bit of an acquired taste.

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 18 April 2001).]
Old 18 April 2001, 03:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

What Dave said is good advice. The ones that look like the clear MY00 lenses are the Pencil beams. What come with the RB5 are the driving lenses that Dave, I and many others have got. If you buy the PIAA's from Subaru/Prodrive then these are the lenses you will get.

According to the PIAA website though, you can change the lenses if you like....

Matt.
Old 22 April 2001, 10:42 PM
Chris Bond
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dave T-S / mutant_matt

I have some PIAA driving lamps. I have a stone chip in one of them. Can I just replace the lense or do I have to buy a new lamp ???

I'm not shore what model PIAA lamp they are. The car was already fitted with them when I bought it. So the only info I have to hand is markings are in the glass itself.

My local dealer has said I need to replace the lense. But before I do send a £180 + Vat I was hoping u could tell me different.

Also what bulbs do u recommend. Currently have the standard H3 55W 12v. Anything better, brighter etc......

Chris.

[This message has been edited by Chris Bond (edited 22 April 2001).]
Old 23 April 2001, 08:16 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris
The lamp unit is almost certainly an 80XT, which are available in drive or pencil beam patterns. The pencil (which are relatively rarely fitted) has a clear glass with no refraction moulded in. The drive has a vertical rib pattern moulded into the back of the glass.

You can get a replacement glass/reflector unit. From memory they are around £55 each from PIAA dealers as opposed to £85 ish for a completely new lamp.

Don't buy from your Subaru dealer (or not at that price . Check out
Old 23 April 2001, 10:47 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any photos of the driving beam lenses and/or pencil beam lenses on a car they could email me?
Still not too sure on which to go for and would like to compare both against MY00 headlight lenses.
Thanks,
Chris

[This message has been edited by ChrisG (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 08:30 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris Bond
The codes on the glass of my 80XT drive lamps are - 049285 and halogen PR8101, if that helps.

ChrisG
They are a primarily a functional tool, not for show......I know what you mean, but if you are actually going to use them, the lamp beam pattern characteristics are more important than what they look like.

There is a pic of the drive beam lamp on PIAA's site -
Old 24 April 2001, 10:34 AM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Go for the driving beam pattern as I've fitted to my MY00. I find even this is a fairly narrow beam for back lane driving sessions and an even narrower one would have little value. They easily light up as far as I need to see and a wider and shorter pattern would actually be more useful. The critical thing is to adjust them correctly and this is best done by sight using a straight and deserted country lane.

Rob
Old 24 April 2001, 11:21 AM
Daemon_G
Scooby Regular

I went for the pencil beam as opposed to the driving beam. The pencil beam is definately better looking than driving beam and they really do emitt just one intense (or two if you've got a pair ) pencilsharp beam that would pick up anything a mile away.

As soon as the road turns though (and they do, believe me! ) you'll see nothing around the sides which the driving beams would probably have picked out due to the wider spread of light.

So if you want the best of both worlds go for "driving" but if you're after the looks and ability to pick out that big moose crossing the road 10 miles ahead then go for the "pencils".

/Joe90
Old 24 April 2001, 07:39 PM
Chris Bond
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Dave

Thanks 4 all your help.

I took your advice and I phoned PIAA. I spoke to a very helpful young man.

I explained my problem I had and that my local dealer wanted to charge me lots of money. It turns out that U where right Dave, they are PRO 80XT driving lamps.

After consulting his little black book of information, he came back with a price of £54 which includes VAT and insured next day delivery.

So I'll be taking delivery of new lamp tomorrow.

Also whilst I was on the phone to the nice man at PIAA, he mentioned that they have brought out some new bulbs for ALL the driving lamps, plus matching dipped/main + sidelights. He's going to put the info in with the new lamp, so when I get it tomorrow, I'll post some more info up.

Also he mentioned that there will be some CLEAR LAMP protectors coming out in the next 5-6 weeks. I'll keep U all posted.

Thanks again Dave.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 24 April 2001, 07:41 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I also have the driving lenses and certainly would not want the beam to be any narrower.

I've also had problems with the standard (and very expensive) PIAA bulbs blowing.The longest I,ve had any last is seven months and after buying four replacements I decided to try the much cheaper Halfords bulbs,and would you believe it they are brighter and give a better spread of light.
They have also lasted about four months so far, so its one of those rare occasions when you get more than you pay for.

Andy