Notices

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2000, 10:47 PM
lesthomson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The check engine light on the dash of my MY94 auto came on for a few seconds one day last week and then stayed on permanently on my way home from work the following day, next morning the car would not start, the cooling fans were on as soon as the ignition was switched on. My first diagnosis was a faulty engine temp switch fooling the ECU into thinking the engine was hot and not giving the excess fuel to start the engine on a cold winter morning. As I had pulled the battery down I disconected it to recharge during the morning, when I reconnected it again everything was fine. This has happened twice now. My question is does the ECU resett itself when the battery is disconnected and if so is it the switch that is faulty or the ECU ?
The switch looks a pig to change anybody tried ?
Old 28 February 2000, 11:27 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

question for you Les, is it a UK car?

If it is take it to a Dealer and get them to put the select monitor on it, that will tell you what has actually gone wrong, it could a number of things.

If its not find someone who has access to the select monitors, it will save you no end of trouble locating the problem.

There is also a connector under the dash that you can connect together that flashes a light on the dash, if you count the flashes it will give the error code, and you may be able to find out what it means from one of the members of the BBS.

The ECU does lose its error codes if disconnected, and it would re-learn them pretty quickly after re-connection.
Old 29 February 2000, 11:17 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Les,

To expand on Ian's post, take a look at