Notices

Cibie 130W Bulb Blowing - Any Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2000, 07:40 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anybody found a solution to this yet? I have just replaced both my driving lamp bulbs to-day and I'm not very pleased about it. They have only been on the car for 4 months and have had very little use, in fact they are switched so that they don't flash with the headlights unless I have sidelights on. Thanks for any info.

Raymond.
Old 21 January 2000, 08:06 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Pete posted a solution to this several weeks ago, i think he said if you send him a SAE he will send you 2 new bulbs and a new fuse which (surprisingly) cures the problem ? he has tested this on several cars now, and i havent heard of anybody having continuing problems since this was done.
Old 21 January 2000, 08:40 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Ian.
I bought the replacement bulbs from Pete knowing that one of them was kaput but didn't realise that the other one was too until I saw it next to a healthy one! I did search out that thread and my relay has a 15 amp fuse in it which it was supplied with and which I understood was the solution so I didn't expect any problems with the lights. However, the switch relay (which I also got from Pete) has a 30 amp fuse fitted. I thought that only the main relay would matter but should I change the switch one to 15 amp as well? Thanks.

Raymond.
Old 21 January 2000, 09:38 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmm strange, i didnt think Pete started putting the 15 amp fuses in until late november ?

It might be worth making sure both fuses have th esame rating, also do you have a multimeter, or know anybody that does to check the voltage and current your car is producing, just to be safe. How have you got them wired up so they only come on with the sidelights ? Just some ideas, hope they prove to be some help.
Old 21 January 2000, 09:51 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi..

I'm puzzled by the fuse issue...

The only thing that might help, is if its an Anti-surge fuse... but I wouldnt have thought the "antisurge" properties would be great enough for the lights... you need a "soft" contact relay.. to stop the sudden surge in current.

The same principle applies to house light bulbs... they will last far longer if u leave them turned on, than if u turned then on and off...

So, I would say its the type of fuse, not the rating..

Cheers,

J.
Old 21 January 2000, 09:55 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Its puzzled me for ages, I have one of the original relays, and I have blown one bulb in nearly 2 years, and thats the only real difference between the old sets and the new sets that will make any difference ? The only other thing i can think is to try to get hold of a different relay and see if that makes any difference ? I know the change wasnt up to Pete as the supplier just changed the relays they supplied ? but whether that actually makes any difference would take a better man than me to work it out ?????
Old 21 January 2000, 10:00 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi again...

I have stated that I had Cibies for over a year with not a single problem...

But I forgot to mention... I didnt use the supplied wiring loom and relay... I made/supplied my own...

Perhaps we are finally identifying the problem... I think it is surge related....

J.
Old 21 January 2000, 11:19 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi everyone,

I also have had problems since fitting mine and these were only bought just before Christmas. Also already had a 15a fuse in. Had a reasonable bit of conversation with Pete C. over this and a couple of nice letters from him. Including two new bulbs and a new fuse. But sorry guys, they still blew. Pete C did say that he had new bulbs coming in that had a higher tollerance. But to be honest, I've lost interest after having to keep crawling under the car and as I work away from home all week, it's a BIG annoyance. So I've stuck 55w's in. Not really keen to waste any more time. Unless someone comes back and says that these new bulbs of Petes, are the dogs do-dads. Giving serious though to putting the 100/80w's back in the standard lights. yes... am aware of all the "supposed" issues on this one. But ran them in my previous Scoob for 18 months without any problems.

[This message has been edited by Mike Owen (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 22 January 2000, 01:01 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had my Cibies fitted at scoobysport just before Christmas. I've got the fog light switch wired to deactivate them.I therefore have 2 relays with 15amp fuses in each. So far I've blown two bulbs, one in each light. The replacement bulbs have been on for only a few minutes so far. I made sure the bulbs were cleaned with meths before installing them. I hope they last longer this time.

What bulbs do the PIAA driving lights use?

Would mounting the cibies with rubber grommets make any difference?
Old 22 January 2000, 10:41 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

It seems that the problem was even more simple. We have been sending out lower rated fuses, as these are closer to the limit and provide a tiny bit of resistance to cars with very high voltage, but...

Years ago, we used to buy our Cibies from Ring and also bought the bulbs and relays from them.

We did have some problems with Rings relays, but nothing like the overall supply problems we had with them, as a company.

When Cibie agreed to supply us direct (Ring are their UK importer), they said they would also supply bulbs and Hella relays.

The relays are better and have the anti surge diode in them to prevent spikes. However, it was shortly after that we noticed some customers were getting through bulbs.

We have now started getting our bulbs from Ring again and guess what... they are not blowing. We have had them on test in two cars with known high voltage and which previously had problems. Six weeks on, everything is working perfectly.

If any Cibie users have a problem with bulbs, please send a SAE and we will send back 2 Ring H2 130w bulbs, free of charge. Please include any blown bulbs that you have.

We guarantee the Cibie kit for 1 year and this includes the bulbs.

Scoobysport's Cibie driving lights, were our first ever product and, for most people, have been one of the best things they ever put on their car. I know that this been very annoying for the few customers that have had a problem, but we are sure that the problem is now sorted.

Having a problem with a product has been a new thing for us, but we and will always do everything to ensure that all products are as reliable, and enjoyable to use, as you would expect from Scoobysport.

Pete
Old 22 January 2000, 10:42 AM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

As some of you already have read in the previous thread, I've blown more bulbs than I care to count or add up the cost of.

However one of the things I did do last Summer was to re-wire the lights, complete with new 15amp relay. But this didn't help the problem.

I do now have the problem solved though, thanks to another car skidding into the front of mine at Christmas. So thanks to the insurance company for coming up with a new bonnet, bumper, headlamp and a set of PIAA's.

Davie
Old 23 January 2000, 08:12 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

My replacement bulbs are Rings so it will be interesting to see what happens - I've been scared to use them so far in case they blow again but Pete's reply above has given me more confidence (I think!)

Ian - I have the lights wired through the fog light switch like Doc's so also have 2 relays, both of which now have 15 amp fuses in them just in case
Old 23 January 2000, 08:33 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 130 watts approx. 10 amps and 2x130 watts bulbs will be close to 20 amps. Fitting 15 amps fuse may turn the bulb blowing problem into a fuse blowing one instead. Or is this supposed to be the idea?