Notices

Boot light

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 1999, 12:33 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

It's earthed ok and has no switch. The position the internal light switch is set in makes no difference to boot light.

Old 15 November 1999, 11:12 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Question

My boot light does not come on until I open a door. Is this normal? Which is the quickest way to wire it up so it comes on when boot opened without opening door as well?

Cheers

Gethin
MY96 WRX
Old 15 November 1999, 11:54 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

My boot light comes on without a door being open but it is a MY98 UK car so it may not be the same.

Do you have a switch in the boot for the light? Is it earthed properly?

Personally I find the boot light next to useless as it so dim.
Old 16 November 1999, 09:43 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The quickest way to wire it to come on when the boot is opened would be to fit a door switch so that it is operated by the boot opening and closing. (Mine is located next to the catch mechanism for the boot). Next disconnect the earth to the boot light. Extend this earth to one side of the switch and make sure the other side is earthed to the body.
The only caveat I can see is if the interior lights earth is the same as the boot light.

This idea should work in theory but I am not a qualified auto electrician and can take no responsibility if it all goes horribly wrong

I can't actually see how you could do any damage it may just be that your interior lights don't work at all unless the boot is open! The mod is reversible as long as you test it before fitting the switch. Hope this is some help.

If the above messes up the interior light then you will have to take a seperate live feed to the bootlight and wire the switch to the earth.

[This message has been edited by Doc (edited 17-11-1999).]
Old 17 November 1999, 10:10 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Doc,

Almost right. The only problem with your solution is that the interior light must still be activated. The feed must come before the door switch, so its worth taking a feed from something that is defaulted to enabled. This requires a wire from behind the dash extended under the sills to the boot. Messy I know, but I don't know of any closer active feeds. Even the brake lights are fed from a switch further forward. I had to add a wire going the length of the car for my fog light (import car) from behind the dash.

Cheers

pilch (the non-electrical non-genius)