Driving lights vs Spot lights

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 1999, 02:28 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

Driving lights again . (This is NOT a ScoobySport vs PIAA vs others question)

I'm considering ditching my fogs and going for some useful lighting. What I'd like are opinions on driving lamps vs spots lamps (i.e. wide spead / short range versus a narrow spread / long range). I guess ideally I'm looking for something in between.

I am considering going DIY. I've seen some neat lights in the USA which have a smaller diameter than the standard fogs (5.5 vs 7 inch) and are shallower than the Oscar+ (so they shouldn't stick out in that 'slightly ugly' fashion). If I go for a DIY option then I'd make up fiberglass housings for the lamps which I guess would end up a little like those on the P1 (still not sure if I like that look though).

Does anyone have "Illumination Angle" figures for any of the driving or spot lamps commonly used on scoobies? The US lamps I'm looking at are 11 degrees for the spots and 33 degrees for the driving lamps.

- ColinU

P.S.
I have been a passenger in a car with the 130W ScoobySport lights. Yes they are good, but I do feel they lack something in long range throw. Saying that I'll probably plump for the SS option -- do I really want to source lamps from the US and spend a few evenings sticking myself together with glass resins!!!
Old 23 November 1999, 04:08 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Cool

I'm pretty sure that Cibie also do the Oscar+ in spots so if you asked Pete he could probably do a set for you.

[This message has been edited by alistair (edited 23-11-1999).]
Old 23 November 1999, 05:26 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

You could try looking at these sites -