Notices

Fitting MY99 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 1999, 09:49 AM
Mark Barrett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I am new to Scooby ownership and only just discovered this BBS a few days ago.

Have just bought a 98MY UK car. Actually is a 555GT from Ireland.

As it has the slightly revised front end, does anyone know if the 99MY headlights will drop straight into my car without serious mods?

Also, is it a mod worth doing, i.e. does it improve the otherwise useless lights.

Any MY99 owners who have previously owned scoobys with older lights care to comment?

Mark
Old 27 October 1999, 01:25 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

I had an MY97 (ran 100/80w bulbs in for 15 months no problems). Now have a MY99 (standard wattage bulbs but Xeon type). To be honest, not a great deal of difference. The lights in the new car seem to be focused a bit better which makes a slight diffence. But I would not rate it worth the expense of upgrading an earlier model to use the new h/lights. Only my opinion but I do cover 20k+ a year, in all weather conditions and have a regular (120 mile +) journey each Friday evening (work away from home). So have a regular long run to judge this by. If it was me, I'd just stick in 100/80w bulbs. Yes I know that some people would mutter about melting wiring etc. but I never had any problems and others will comment on the legality, or otherwise (I.E. they are illegal). Others will comment on blinding on comming drivers. Run 100/80w's but drop the lights down one notch (depends on how good the original adjustment is). I borrowed a friends car and had him follow me in my car and set up like this, they do not dazzle (also tried driving towards my car). I did consider swapping the fogs for driving lights, but came to the conlussion that a number of others have. That they are "great" until you swap to dipped and it's like someone switched your lights of completely! So, there you have it, only "my" personal experiences.

Hope my comments are of some help.

Enjoy your car......
Old 27 October 1999, 06:51 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mark.

I agree with Mike.
First of all, MY99 will not just 'drop in' to your car. The grill (definite!) and bonnet (I think?) are both different and would also need changing.
You are much better off changing your bulbs first, and if that's still not enough consider a driving light conversion.

Stef.
Old 27 October 1999, 11:20 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

Stef,
The MY99 headlamps will drop into a '97 or '98 model, it's the '96 and before cars that had the different grille and bonnet.
Davy
Old 28 October 1999, 11:32 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sorry Davie,

I disagree (again! ).
As I understand it MY99 headlights will not fit any previous models unless also changing at least the grill and I think the bonnet.
Unless anyone's already done it if course.........

Stef.
(Carbon Dioxide canister ready again!)
Old 28 October 1999, 07:50 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

Okay Stef - outside.

About a year ago, I hit a large bird at 60mph, although it didn't break the lens it broke the inside mechanism for the electric lamp adjusters, about the same time the other one popped out of the socket and I now had 2 lights pointing skywards with no way of keeping the beam down.

My dealer put them in as a warranty claim, and I asked if they would fit MY99 ones to my '97 car. My dealer agreed as they are in fact cheaper, but Subaru UK would only do like for like. But they definately would fit. Well thats what the dealer told me.

Like the brush aluminium dash kit, where did you get it.

[This message has been edited by DavieR (edited 28-10-1999).]
Old 28 October 1999, 08:28 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Davie.

Whenever your ready Bad Boy!!!
Have a look at two side by side and see what you think. I'm still not convinced, but I'll double check on Sunday at Santa Pod.
I got the dash kit from Carnoisseur in Bedford.

Stef.