Notices

Xenon Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2004, 05:24 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Conversion

OK gonna try and build my own xenon conversion kit for my WRX bugeye with prodrive lights.
a few questions
I have a few ignitors/control unit lying around but I notice the DS2 bulbs aren't exactly H7 fitment. The Locating pins are different so no way to ensure that the light pattern is gonna be in the correct position
Anyone know of a supplier of either H7 bulbs fitment, or a convertor plate that would allow fitting of above bulb.
Also what are the legality of this type of conversion, Im told that its a legal requirement to have self leveling lights ( this may be for new cars only). Now obviosly my conversion would not have this, should I incorperate this into the lights as well.
And finally, the sheer heat that comes off these lights, would this effect my prodrive lights?
Any help would be appreciated to above questions, or any other help you think I may need.
Spooks
Old 03 April 2004, 12:56 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Autolamps on line sell kits with bases bonded on to the HID burners which replicate the coventional blubs, including H7. They sell the modified burners on their own for changing kits over from one car to another, not sure if they would want to sell you one to make your own kit!

Temperature is not a problem, HID run much cooler than a conventional bulb.

New cars need both self levelling and headlamp washers. I really wouldn't bother, this is for muppet BMW drivers who are too stupid to wash their headlamps or to adjust their headlight height when they have three of their fat mates in the back. Scoobie drivers have more sense don't they? Not sure of the legality of needing these two, does it apply just to new cars or does it also apply to aftermarket HID's? Shouldn't think anyone knows and in any case who would be in a position to check it? Just do it.
Old 04 April 2004, 10:23 AM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply
Will try and see if Auto lamps would sell me the bulbs separate , but I dont hold much hope.
Still not had a look at the wiring diagrams for the ignitors I have, so still not even sure it can be done with the stuff I have.
Spooks
Old 07 April 2004, 06:50 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

BTTT for any more opinions
Old 09 April 2004, 11:04 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

bump again
Old 10 April 2004, 12:21 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I have Xenon HID lights on a MY02 JDM sti v7 so they must be legal otherwise the car wouldn't pass an SVA test on importing. They also don't have wipers.

Couldn't you just buy two complete bugeye HID headlamps from a breaker/dismantler?
Old 10 April 2004, 01:43 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

AlanS

Ive got the same lights on my WRX but with Autolamps D2S kit inside - fecking wonderful setup but unfortunately I'm getting a condensation problem in the nearside housing even though I thought I'd sealed it - you don't happen to know of a spare housing anywhere, do you?

As for the SVA, I thought a lot of people swapped the lights (maybe the importer does it) to UK spec ones to get through the test and then re-installed the JDM ones so they could see... Just because it's got them on doesn't mean they meet EU spec as they are Japanese AFAIK

Apple