Notices

Driving Lights - Hella/Cibie/PIAA...others?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 06:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving Lights - Hella/Cibie/PIAA...others?

I want to change the front fogs (how often do we legitimately use them?) in my MY03 for driving lights. Subaru are dragging their heals and allocating all current stock for the WR1, so I wondered if anyone knew where I might find some aftermarket 130mm units. I've had a look on Hella and Cibie's sites, but the technical data was vague. Does anyone know any good places to look, manufacturers or retailers sites.

Cheers, CB.
Old 29 March 2004, 07:42 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi mate...

I think that Scoobysport do the Hella FF1000 kit similar to the prodrive ones on mine, but SS's are the gas discharge ones... not cheap though at £728.50 inc VAT.

Might be worth giving TSL a bell to see what offerings they have for the WRX 03, they have the genuine Subaru items on their site for 93 to 00 and 01 / 02. You never know!

Good luck....

Simon
Old 29 March 2004, 08:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sourcing the lights is not a problem. You can buy a set of Hella 1000FF 's in HID or halogen, a set of Cibie Oscar Plus', or a set of PIAA's from loads of places.

The problem will be mounting them. Prodrive marketed a kit to fit the 1000FF halogens to bugeyes and classics, but the mounting was poor, and suffers from vibration and difficulty in set up, not to mention that if you have to change a bulb, you have to start your set-up again!

Scoobysport's HID 1000FF bracket was/is the dogs', and the lights are unbeatable, but the price?????????, and someone posted recently thay they are no longer available?

Alcazar
Old 04 April 2004, 12:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried these in the foglight position on an MY03 WRX ? At 130mm they are just the right size, just not too sure about how easy it would be to fit them well. A bit expensive at 240 quid, but probably cheaper than the Subaru ones will be whenever they get them. I'll keep looking in case I find some 60 quid hella/cibies, as I probably won't bother until autumn now that the lighter nights are upon us.
Old 12 April 2004, 06:51 PM
TTZZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sourcing the lights is not a problem. You can buy a set of Hella 1000FF 's in HID or halogen, a set of Cibie Oscar Plus', or a set of PIAA's from loads of places.

The problem will be mounting them. Prodrive marketed a kit to fit the 1000FF halogens to bugeyes and classics, but the mounting was poor, and suffers from vibration and difficulty in set up, not to mention that if you have to change a bulb, you have to start your set-up again!

Scoobysport's HID 1000FF bracket was/is the dogs', and the lights are unbeatable, but the price?????????, and someone posted recently thay they are no longer available?

Alcazar
In mine opinion:
the piaa's are overpriced.
The cibies have a too high failure rate and fall apart within 3 years and when bought as a kit for the impreza they are overprized too.
Yes the hella's FF1000 vibrate a little.

But with some minor extra parts these lights are much easier to mount.
The hole in the bracket is too large.
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...RX_Bracket.jsp
http://www.prodrive.com/pagefiles/si...%20montage.jpg
When a washer is used to fill this hole it is much easier to adjust the the light. http://home.planet.nl/~annev040/washer.jpg
The bracket light mounting face has an angle of 55 degrees, you must bend it a little further to 45 degrees and then they will shine straight on a old type impreza. http://home.planet.nl/~annev040/lampen.html
Do not use any other interface material between the lamp and the bracket!

Including, 2 hella pencil beams ff1000, 2 brackets, two 100watt hella bulbs.
Cost me here in holland 170 euro is about 111 UKP!
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...FF/RallyFF.jsp

not within are the two washers, wiring and relay, say for about 5 pounds?
The brackets will fit the old style impreza and the WRX upto 2002.
Regards jan-egbert

Last edited by TTZZ; 28 June 2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12 April 2004, 07:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers TTZZ, but they all seem to be for classics. On the Hella USA site there were some FF200's that at 146mm are close to the right size, but at the mo' the PIAA's look the most suitable, if expensive option.
Old 14 April 2004, 02:00 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

there was a guy on bbs.22b.com selling some scoobysport hella 1000ff driving lamps in HID guise second hand but unused.

His name was adge.

If youj go on there and do a search I think he will probably still have them for sale.
Old 14 April 2004, 11:10 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Dave,

If they are still available from Adge, he used to go to the RR days at WLT so could be local-ish and I've seen him on a couple if Northern Runs

Andy
Old 15 April 2004, 07:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Adam & Andy - the 1000FF's are just too big to use on the front of the blobeye, unless I perhaps get some STi covers and cut them to suit (hmmm, ). Also, at £500 it's way more than I wanted to pay. I was thinking of finding some for about £70-140ish so even the perfect sized PIAA's are out of limits, perhaps I saw some cheapo Ring jobbies at Halfrauds, but they we slightly too small (100mm, need 130 ideally) and had "angel eyes"

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 15 April 2004, 09:06 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

not sure if I'm on the right track here, but have you tried "Ring Lighting" on geldard road ?

just a thought

Phil
Old 15 April 2004, 09:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I was there the other day, but I must admit I didn't look at anything automotive. Might call back when I'm passing. As I said earlier, no rush due to light nights now for several months, but I would like to find something suitable come autumn.

Cheers.
Old 15 April 2004, 12:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I have with the PIAA's is the lenses (well the older Pro 80's) suffer badly from corrossion. In the 5yrs I've had them, I've had at to replace 4 sets of lenses (luckily the first set was at IM's expense). At £50 each it's a real pi$$er.

Some other RB5 owners haven't experienced rust, but many have and living in wet Scotland probably doesn't help matters either.

I did ask PIAA, but they gave me the rubber ear when I asked if rust was covered under warranty on new lenses as they say it shouldn't happen.

Stefan