Notices

Headlight upgrade for MY99

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 07:48 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As above folks what are the benefits of ordinary morettes and then HID morettes as supplied by Scoobysport. For £300+ and £700+ I would hope there is a lot.

Pat
Old 23 January 2004, 08:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
There's been a big thread about this recently, do a search for Hy-Low feedback.

AFAIK: ordinary Morettes have the outer pair of lights using an H4 dip/main beam bulb, which many people upgrade to Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter, or, as I have done, GE 60% brighter.

The inner pair of lights adds an extra to main beam, like a seperate pair of driving lights. They come on as well as the outer main beams, when you select main beam.

I think the Scoobysport HID Morettes use a SINGLE HID lamp to do dip in the outers, and has the inners as halogen main beam, so you get better dips, but lose out on main beam.

IMHO, you'd be better off doing as I have, and having uprated Morettes, then the Scoobysport HID DRIVING LIGHTS when you've saved a bit more.
Take a look at the HID lights on the Hella Virtual Light Tunnel, www.Hella.co.uk, they are the Xenon 1000ff units.

Alcazar
Old 25 January 2004, 06:27 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8. I have cibies for driving lights and apart from blowing bulbs they are grand (though not as good as yours by a long shot I'd say) It's the dipped beam from the morettes that I'm more interested in. Are they way above the ordinary light performance of the std ones? I'm also a bit wary of putting HID in the proper headlights as it could come back to haunt you if one had an accident.

Pat
Old 29 January 2004, 08:48 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Can't answer your question other than to agree that standard headlights are crap! But if you do go for morettes and want to sell your old lights to recoup some of the cost I'd be interested - I want to keep the car looking standard but mine has the frosted type lights that are even worse than the clear 99> ones (bet you thought that wasn't possible ). Been trying to get a set for ages but I've been let down twice now after "agreed" sales.

Just a thought... I'll stop being a vulture now
Old 01 February 2004, 07:21 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Haven't made up my mind yet m8. I'll keep in touch if I do though.

Pat