Notices

Loud bang when electric window goes down

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 09:11 AM
Murphy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

At first this did not bother me now its getting a tad annoying the window about half way down makes a bang like the glass drops a little.
The 1st time it did it i thought the glass has smashed (that loud) it only happens when the drivers door is shut if i open it the bang goes away.

I have had a good look atthe motor and window slide system but cant see anything that would make it does this.

The prob is you can only really look at the window system with the door open and thn the fault does not occur any advise would be sterling.

Cheers in advance Aaron
Old 21 December 2003, 05:58 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

It sounds as if the glass or mechanism is catching on the speakers, if the std oem ones are replaced and the replacements are too deep they can catch.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:04 PM
Murphy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i thought that might be it but its not as the speakers are the original ones. On the subject of speakers do you know what the max depth and size speakers will fit without lots of fiddling about mate?

any other advise on this prob would be great
Old 23 December 2003, 02:06 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

I have speakers with a 57mm depth using a 4mm mdf frame and it just misses the window.

I have a my03
Old 26 January 2004, 09:12 PM
Murphy
Scooby Regular

I have had new speakers fitted and even when i had the speakers out the window still made a big bang on the way down, wierd though it may seem but the bang almost goes when i have the door open just when i have the door shut it makes the noise
Old 28 January 2004, 12:51 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Have you never heard of the Door Goblins? They're the ones that keep your car doors shut. To do that properly, they have to do it standing. Some of the european market spec goblins are unusually tall, and suffer from a problem called window whack, or the lowering window whacking them unexpectedly over the head. The bang you hear is the goblin(s) kicking the door skin in anger.
When the door is open, the goblin is able to drop to the bottom of the door cavity out of the window's way, because at that time, it doen't have to hold the door shut. That's the quiet thud you hear.
It's not unheard of for short goblins from JDM cars to abandon their post if the car they work in is due to be exported. When the car gets to it's destination, the vacant post is filled by the often taller euro spec model door goblin.
From the above, it sounds like you have an unusually tall version of the euro spec door goblin.
The only cure is to take the car to the local dealer and ask for the goblin to be replaced with a shorter euro goblin, or an original JDM model.
They don't come cheap, so you'd better get saving.

Edited to add - Forgot to say that I had the exact same problem in my car. I took it to the dealer who diagnosed window whack and gave the above explanation. He said that only one of the goblins was overly tall, but he suggested that I replace all four as the other three goblins still had some growing left to do. At £1326 each, they're not cheap, but at least the window doesn't get on my nerves any more.

Kev

[Edited by cefski - 1/28/2004 1:00:06 AM]
Old 28 January 2004, 07:05 PM
Murphy
Scooby Regular

kev you must be seriously imagnitive to have thought that out and 1300 quid for a goblin! remember i live in essex there are loads of girls around here with goblins he he he

so sounds like i might as well put up with this problem for a while
Old 29 January 2004, 04:37 PM
Dude!
Scooby Regular

Sounds obvious but have you checked ALL the bolts that hold the mechanism to the door are tight?
Old 31 January 2004, 10:34 AM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Murphy

I have heard of this before with some one, in the end there was a tooth missing of one of the cog's and when it came down it missed that one out and hit the next one down thee for giving the thud.

Cheers Dougie