Notices

Fog Light Beams

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 01:40 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hope this not too much of a numpty question but, last night was the first time I have had to use my fog lights in anger (MY00 wagon).

The beam from the fog lights displayed in a vertical line which was a bit distracting!

Is this normal? I kind of expected fog beams to be horizontal and wide.

If it is not normal are the bulbs or the fog lights fitted 90 degrees out and if so how do I fix??

Help appreciated

Mike
Old 04 December 2003, 05:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
You'd really need to look at them against a suitable surface, eg: a door/wall/etc, before you could say they were wrong.
If they are OE Scoob lights, I don't see how they can be rotated 90 degrees. The fixings won't allow it, and nor will the shape of the lights.

Are you sure you weren't just distracted by the extra light because of thick fog?
IMHO, foglights are a total waste of time, about as much use as cupholders to most people!
Alcazar
Old 05 December 2003, 08:40 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Question

Alc,

I did as you suggested (but very quickly and crudely) and the beams still seem to travel in a vertical beam :O

They are OE and I haven't touched since bought the car new.

Maybe its my ignorance but I really expected fog beams to be horizontal and wide not vertical and tall.

I'll try and be more scientific this weekend and have a closer look at the fixing etc Is it possible that the relector within the light could be 90 deg out, rather than the whole light unit or maybe the bulb?? Is it the reflector or the bulb that determines the beam??

Cheers

Mike
Old 05 December 2003, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Two things come to mind here:
Firstly, are we SURE that what you have are actually foglights, and haven't been swopped for driving lights?
The foglights say "Subaru" somewhere on the lens.(At the bottom, should be).

Secondly, are they the crystal lens type, or older?

In the newer, crystal lens type, the reflector decides where the beam will disperse, and in the older style, it's the lens.

I still can't see how they can be doing what you say............I'm not saying you're wrong, but:
1.The fixings, and the shape of the rear of the lights, shouldn't allow the light to be rotated through the 90 degrees it would take to produce the effect you have,
2. The lights can't even be swopped side to side, as they are "handed".

OK: have a look at the glass(old type), or reflector,(new type).

Old type:The lines on the reflector should run VERTICALLY, and if it's a foglight, there are lots of 'em, it's hard to see the bulb.

New type: The rectangular "panels" on the reflector are ever so slightly longer in the vertical, than in the horizontal, and the word "Subaru" appears on the bottom of the lens.

Hope this is of help.

BTW: if the reflector runs the wrong way, all I can think is that someone has had it off, (it's not a particularly easy remove), and replaced it wrong, but looking at the pair I have in my garage, (new type), I don't think that even that is feasible, because of the shape

Alcazar
Old 05 December 2003, 10:38 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alc, great reply.

I'll have a good old inspection tomorrow. Haven't been able to get that close yet due to dark nights and not wanting to put my suit in wet cold puddles!

Maybe its just my eyes that are 90deg out LOL

Mike
Old 05 December 2003, 01:46 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alc,

Just had a very quick look at my fogs and the lens' on both have Subaru not at the bottom but at 90deg on the side.

This explains all I suspect . I presume these just clip off and can be turned?

No idea how this has happened, I have never touched them or replaced a bulb so can only presume they were fitted this way when the car was built.

Cheers

Mike
Old 05 December 2003, 07:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Red face

WOW! NEVER heard of this before!

And you've had the car from new?

I'd be inclined to let the selling dealer sort it, but knowing dealers, they'll duck it.

Just had a further look at mine: I STILL reckon it would not be possible to fit the entire light unit 90 degrees out, as there are only 3 bolt holes, and turning the unit like that, puts them in the wrong places.

That means it HAS to be the lenses, BUT:.......if yours is a '00 car, it should have clear lenses, and so they shouldn't have any effect?

Anyway, I unclipped one of mine, (2 spring clips) to see how easy it would be to do, and it wouldn't come apart......I think it's glued as well, to stop water ingress.

Maybe you could try warming it in an oven, or hot water, but I'm unsure, as it's glass????????
And in any case, you may not solve it, if they ARE clear lenses:
AND you'd have to reseal it somehow?:

No, my thoughts are now that you should approach the dealer, along the lines of "made wrong", and see what they'll do for you....you might get a cut-price set of driving lights instead:

Alcazar

Editted to say: I'd also be inclined to contact IM, customer services for a comment/help.

[Edited by alcazar - 12/5/2003 7:02:23 PM]

[Edited by alcazar - 12/5/2003 7:04:34 PM]
Old 06 December 2003, 12:18 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Come on guys this is obvious, you have all the clues, think laterally.

They are mounted with three bolts so you can't take one out and refit it at 90 degrees. But the writing is at 90 degrees so they must be.

So take them both out and swop them side to side. The three bolts on the left hand light mean it will be at 90 degrees if you try and fit it to the right hand side of the car..... Refit them on the other side of the car with the writing at the bottom and the right way up and Robert's your brothers thingy.
Old 06 December 2003, 10:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

I must admit to having thought of that, but they are handed....an odd shape front and rear.
Will what you've suggested actually work?

Alcazar
Old 06 December 2003, 10:51 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ta da !!!

Well done Sherlock Chelspeed !!! LOL

3 bolts off on each - disconnect wires - swap sides and ...voila ...horizontal fog beams!!!!

What would I do without SN !!!

Many thanks guys

Mike
Old 06 December 2003, 02:27 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Smug grin!
Old 06 December 2003, 03:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular