Notices

power connection project

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 02:54 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have fitted a hands free kit and a knock link and am about to fit some new gauges that will all need lighting switched power. What I would like is something that would connect to the cars wiring once for each type of connection and be easy to connect accessories neatly to out of sight.

Basically I was thinking a dedicated feed direct from the battery for both power and earth and a connection to an ignition switched power and a connection to a lighting switched power.

The 2 switched power supplies would connect to relays so power could be switched without putting extra strain on the cars wiring system and then there would be several (about 10) outputs that could be either permanent 12V, ignition switched or lighting switched so new accessories could connected neatly in seconds

does anybody know of anything like this that already exists or could advise me on building this as I don't have much knowledge regarding selecting the components needed or creating a circuit board

Cheers Alistair
Old 23 November 2003, 10:29 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Can't think of anything like this that exists at the moment.

Basically, it could be done with two relays, (best to use the ones WITHOUT fuses), two inline fuseholders and fuses, some suitable cable,(thin 14 010" if you're powering up instruments etc, and thicker 28 010" if you intend to power higher current applications, eg: lights, amps etc.), and a few connectors.
Make sure your connectors, (spade terminals for the relay) have plastic covers.

All you need do is wire in the relays under the dash, put the fuses as close to the battery as poss, and use "piggyback" connectors every time you want to make another connection.

On a Scoob, there's a suitable grommet to bring wiring through from the engine bay, on the passenger side footwell. It can be seen easily from inside the engine bay, and is an oval shape.
Alcazar