Notices

adjusting morette beam on MY01

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 01:51 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car has been in garage and i reckon the adjustment is to low on my morettes i have on it-which screw adjusts the height and if i aim them on a garage door what sort of height should the beam be hitting it at-any help please

thanky
Old 10 October 2003, 03:20 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Not too sure on this mate, prolly depends on distance from door ect...

Took mine to local garage £5 and all sorted.
Daz.
Old 11 October 2003, 12:26 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

anymore
Old 11 October 2003, 06:06 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Beam should go down about 1cm per metre of distance from headlight. In other words, if you are 10m from the door, the beam should be 10cm lower than the headlight height.

Make sure the surface is level.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:10 AM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

All ECE headlamps can be aimed manually.
You should have 1/2 tank fuel and usual load carried under normal driving conditions.
Make sure tyre pressures are correct and that the ground your car is on is level over the distance to your vertical reference surface (usually a wall).

Required
a) something to mark your surface.
b) tape measure.
c) plumb bob
d) electrical insulation tape or something similar you dont mind sticking to your car temporarily
e) A second person is helpful for marking out the dimensions

Lights should be aimed in the "dipped" or low beam mode.

Tech reference:
Each headlamp unit will have a reference point marked on the lense of the unit in fromt of the low beam bulb. This could be a dot, cross, bulb type designation or brand name.
This is its "axis" and the point from which measurements relate.

The first thing to do is to determine the height of the axis of the headlamp as installed on the car.

Measure the distance to the ground and make a note.This measurement determines the amount of downtilt required.

Headlamp axis height Downtilt Required
800mm or less 76mm
801mm to 999mm 101mm
1000mm or higher 114mm

The next thing to do is lay out the "geometry" required for aiming.
1)The vehicle should be parked perpendicular to the reference surface with the headlamp axis point 7620mm horizontally from this surface.
2)Measure the horizontal distance between the two headlamp axis marks, divide by two and this gives the distance of the axis' from the centre line of the car. Note this measurement and Mark this point on your car bonnet with the electrical tape so that you can see the tape when looking through the car from behind.
3)At the rear of the car, measure the width of the rear window, and mark the centre of it with tape. (there may already be a central logo or similar that you can use as a reference point)
4)From behind, sight through the glass and align the two reference marks. With your second person, get them to mark the point on the wall where this line (projected) meets it.

This gives you the vehicle centre line reference on the wall.

5) with the plumb bob mark the vertical surface through this point from ground level up to at least the headlamp axis height.
6)Where this vertical line meets the ground measure horizontally the distance previously measured on the vehicle as the horizontal axis distance ( using 1/2 this measurement either side of the vertical line) to give you the horizontal location of the Axis points on the wall.
7)Using the plumb bob measure vertically upwards from the points marked in (6) to give you your reference axis points on the wall.

Mark these points (A) and mark a horizontal line between the two.

Measure down from these points (using the table above to determine the required downtilt) and mark this points "D" . Join these points with a horizontal line.

You now have all the reference points reqiured>

---------A--------------------+-------------------A-------
+ + +
--D--------------------+-------------------D--
+ + +
+ + +
__________________________________________________ _________gl

Turn your lights on!
Vertical Aiming:
The low beam pattern has a distinct horizontal cut off between light and dark. Below the cut off is bright and above it dark. The headlamp should be aimed so that this horizontal cut off is along the line "D-D".
Horizontal Aiming:
The low beam pattern (on RHD car light units) kinks upwards on the left hand end of the light pattern \__ (on LHD the opposite__/).
This kink point for each light unit should be aimed so that the apex of the kink in its light pattern is on the intersection between the line through "D-D" and the vertical line through its respective "A" mark..

This is spot on aiming.
There is a tolerance of +/- 50.8mm in the horizontal aim. Moving the kink point right will increase your sight down the road under low beam conditions but you will then become susceptible to dazzling the oncoming traffic.

I hope this helps

Nick

Old 14 October 2003, 11:13 AM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

when i sent that all the d 's and a's lined up nicely! ***** but you get the idea i hope.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:21 AM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

doh! Try again

All ECE headlamps can be aimed manually.
You should have 1/2 tank fuel and usual load carried under normal driving conditions.
Make sure tyre pressures are correct and that the ground your car is on is level over the distance to your vertical reference surface (usually a wall).

Required
a) something to mark your surface.
b) tape measure.
c) plumb bob
d) electrical insulation tape or something similar you dont mind sticking to your car temporarily
e) A second person is helpful for marking out the dimensions

Lights should be aimed in the "dipped" or low beam mode.

Tech reference:
Each headlamp unit will have a reference point marked on the lense of the unit in fromt of the low beam bulb. This could be a dot, cross, bulb type designation or brand name.
This is its "axis" and the point from which measurements relate.

The first thing to do is to determine the height of the axis of the headlamp as installed on the car.

Measure the distance to the ground and make a note.This measurement determines the amount of downtilt required.

Headlamp axis height Downtilt Required
800mm or less 76mm
801mm to 999mm 101mm
1000mm or higher 114mm

The next thing to do is lay out the "geometry" required for aiming.
1)The vehicle should be parked perpendicular to the reference surface with the headlamp axis point 7620mm horizontally from this surface.
2)Measure the horizontal distance between the two headlamp axis marks, divide by two and this gives the distance of the axis' from the centre line of the car. Note this measurement and Mark this point on your car bonnet with the electrical tape so that you can see the tape when looking through the car from behind.
3)At the rear of the car, measure the width of the rear window, and mark the centre of it with tape. (there may already be a central logo or similar that you can use as a reference point)
4)From behind, sight through the glass and align the two reference marks. With your second person, get them to mark the point on the wall where this line (projected) meets it.

This gives you the vehicle centre line reference on the wall.

5) with the plumb bob mark the vertical surface through this point from ground level up to at least the headlamp axis height.
6)Where this vertical line meets the ground measure horizontally the distance previously measured on the vehicle as the horizontal axis distance ( using 1/2 this measurement either side of the vertical line) to give you the horizontal location of the Axis points on the wall.
7)Using the plumb bob measure vertically upwards from the points marked in (6) to give you your reference axis points on the wall.

Mark these points (A) and mark a horizontal line between the two.

Measure down from these points (using the table above to determine the required downtilt) and mark this points "D" . Join these points with a horizontal line.

You now have all the reference points reqiured>

=========A====================+=================== A======
.........+....................+................... +
=========D====================+=================== D======
__________________________________________________ _________gl

Turn your lights on!
Vertical Aiming:
The low beam pattern has a distinct horizontal cut off between light and dark. Below the cut off is bright and above it dark. The headlamp should be aimed so that this horizontal cut off is along the line "D-D".
Horizontal Aiming:
The low beam pattern (on RHD car light units) kinks upwards on the left hand end of the light pattern \__ (on LHD the opposite__/).
This kink point for each light unit should be aimed so that the apex of the kink in its light pattern is on the intersection between the line through "D-D" and the vertical line through its respective "A" mark..

This is spot on aiming.
There is a tolerance of +/- 50.8mm in the horizontal aim. Moving the kink point right will increase your sight down the road under low beam conditions but you will then become susceptible to dazzling the oncoming traffic.

I hope this helps

Nick

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2003, 10:27 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Or go to an MOT centre and get them to shine them into their light box and adjust them in that, takes about 5 minutes each side,
Old 31 October 2003, 08:05 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

thank u all-went to local garage had them do it for a fiver-thank u-can see road again now lol