Notices

Overheating? 1st post!

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2003, 10:55 PM
cool-as
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Firstly hi to everyone here! I've had my WRX for 2 years now and really wish I'd found you sooner, been checkin thru some posts and it seems like you guys know your stuff and have a laugh too.

Anyways, my reason for posting, under normal driving conditions the temp gauge slowly rises and sits about half way, no matter what (flying along a motorway or sitting in traffic). All good so far, but thinking back I don't know if I've EVER heard the fan activate/run. It wasn't really an issue before but I'm now noticing a smell, yunno, a warm slightly burny kinda smell. And I'm worried. Hopefully you guys can point in the right direction maybe it's a common thing (the fan only works in extreme circumstances) or a precursor to an imminent disater!

You are talking to an intellegent person (sometimes!) but a complete novice, so be kind please!

Any thoughts would be great,

Thanx in advance,

Cool-as
Old 07 August 2003, 11:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, the fan certainly should activate every now and again, especially given the recent weather!

The fan will normally activate if you get the engine warm and then park up for a couple of minutes (keep the engine running of course!).

There's an easy way of testing it though, and that's to put the ECU into test mode. You do this by connecting together two green plugs which you'll find in the wiring loom under the steering column.

Turn the ignition off, find and connect the two plugs, then turn the ignition to the "On" position, but don't start the engine. You should hear relays under the dash and under the bonnet clicking back and forth, and every few seconds the fan should turn on in low speed mode, switch to high speed, switch off, wait a few seconds then repeat the cycle.

If you hear the fan go to low then high then switch off, you can assume everything's working. If you only hear it go to full mode, or don't hear it at all, there's a problem somewhere (could be as simple as a fuse), so best thing is to cross that bridge if you reach it.

Once you've finished your diagnosis, turn the ignition off, and disconnect the two green plugs to put the ECU back into normal mode.

Old 08 August 2003, 03:01 PM
cool-as
Scooby Newbie

Thanx for the reply GreaseMonkey, gonna have a look see at the ECU 'test mode' later today, I'll let you know if I have any significant outcome.

Cheers again,

Cool-as.
Old 08 August 2003, 06:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i've had two cars in within a week with the temp gauge rising from halfway the first had blown his head gaskets due to what i can only call a field in between the aircon rad and the engine rad the second which is in tomorrow also looks blocked.
the fans should cut in at 95 degrees then cut out at about 91and carry on going down until about 87-88 thats on idle and when driving it should vary between 83-87 and a bit more if your caning it! the one i've seen and the one in tomorrow both went up to over 100 degrees when driving.
although both cars have done over 90,000 mls so prob a bit more than yours but it may worth be checking anyway.