Notices

Help and/or Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2003, 10:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks

I have a blue STI7, and last week something probably resembling a turd decided it would be a good idea to make the drivers door mirror fold forwards instead of backwards.

It was parked in my driveway, so wasn't another vehicle or anything.

Anyhow, since its now broken, I got some quotes from dealers and was scared stupid when I heard the price. So I eventually got one from a breakers. It came off a WRX MY02, they told me that its the same mirror as the STI MY02(heated etc), when it arrived in the post its dark blue, but not light blue(they told me it was blue on the phone, but I just assumed the same colour of blue).

Can these things be taken apart, i.e can i put my light blue case on the working mirror, or should I get it painted the same colour?

If I get it painted will you be able to tell? Do the sprayers somehow remove the glass etc, because its ovbiously painted inside aswell, or should I return it to the breakers and get shafted by Subaru prices for a new replacement, which by the way is just over twice the price of the breakers mirror?

Thanks

Shaun
Old 09 June 2003, 10:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Well, there's a few points here:
Firstly, when you buy ANY painted article, ALWAYS quote paint code. Then if it arrives and is wrong, it can go back, no prob.Your paint code is on the plate under the bonnet, BTW.
Secondly, I'm almost certain that the new mirror, if bought from a Scoob dealer, would arrive UNPAINTED, so you're no better off.
Thirdly, a reputable sprayer will quote you for respraying the one you have, and you can take up your fears with him.....a good one will prob know how to get it apart to spray it properly.
DON'T get a cheapo job, or the paint will come off:
Alcazar
Alcazar
Old 10 June 2003, 12:43 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

But if he can get it apart then you might as well fit the orriginal cover on the new mirror assembly

Sorry not really look at one to find out how to get it apart, but I'm sure you must be able too!
Old 10 June 2003, 09:06 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, its colour coded when it arrives to the dealers, they've already told me that. They also told me that its gonna cost me £150!

Dyney, thats exactly what I want to do. They bloody things MUST come apart somehow. I guess I could experiment with the broken mirror and see how, but this post was just me being lazy and hoping that someone else had done this before.

Shaun
Old 10 June 2003, 09:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, if it comes apart, then IM will know how! They have a "Technical Help" desk. Give 'em a ring and ask for help. When I wanted to know about removal of door cards, rear skirts etc, before being on here, the guy there faxed me the relevant pages of the manual.
0121 522 2000 IIRC
Alcazar