Notices

New Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 02:23 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Had to change my drivers side headlight bulb today as it blew during the week.
Took out the old one, and without really looking at it much took it to the local 'pretend Halfords' shop and said 'Could I have one of these please?' The guy himself didnt really look at it and said 'H4, there you go' This I bought and took home.
On fitting I noticed it wasnt as bright as the other side, so took the other side bulb out to check what it was.
Then found it was a 100/80w bulb!
Took the one I'd just bought back, and explained my problem. Was told that he could sell me 100/80 (actually they only had 100/90s) but they were illegal for road use.
Finally thought I'd better be good and settled for a pair of 60/55s but with '30% brighter light' but these are terrible compared to the old ones

Would I be ok to use the 100/90's?
Ive heard that the wiring can melt with uprated bulbs too, is that right?
Never had anyone flash me while driving with them in, so maybe I can go back to the higher ones...

What does everyone think?

Cheers
Mark...
Old 13 January 2003, 10:34 PM
neillarke
Scooby Regular

No one got any ideas ??

I have recently replaced my H4's with 30% better - the are only slightly less C**p - tell me about these 100/80 - do they work or not ??#

Regards Neil
Old 13 January 2003, 10:54 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark,

100/80W bulbs draw twice the current of the Std rating (60/55) and you've got a good chance of melting the wiring and burning out the contacts of the relay! They will also produce more heat and could melt the reflectors when used for any length of time.

Scooby lights have never been up to the performance of the car. I would go for a set of spots to replace the little used fog lamps that are Std fit.

Andy
Old 14 January 2003, 12:32 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil,

TBH, I hadnt noticed that my lights were that good really. Only had the car about 6 weeks. They were good, but not outstanding. But after taking out the 100/80s and putting the 60/55s 30% extra in I can definately see the difference now!
Dont know how long the 100/80s had been in, whether the dealer had put em in or what...?
Did have the option as I said of geting another one to replace the blown one, but was a bit bothered about the melting wiring stories I'd heard on here etc...

And Andy, I have an STi with the fog covers (with no lamps behind strangley?), so dont really want to lose them TBH...

So is there anything that is same or similar wattage, that wont break the bank, but will throw out more light for us?

[Edited by markpm - 1/14/2003 12:34:27 AM]
Old 14 January 2003, 01:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

There was a big thing on bulbs in Auto Express about 8 months ago. Different manufacturer's versions of the same bulb performed VERY differently. It seemed to have something to do with manufacturing tolerances: if the filament is even slightly cockeyed, or in the wrong place, it has a huge effect on where the light goes! You only have to look on here at the number of people who get their new bulbs in slightly wrong, and can hardly drive on the light output.
From the Auto Express test, the bulbs which consistently performed well were Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter.
I have them in my Morettes, and they are pretty good.
I also have Scoobysport HID's, and when those babys come on, it's the night for everyone else:
Alcazar
Old 14 January 2003, 02:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PIAA Superbright one's are probably the best.

I have the Philips Vision Plus ones and they aren't that much better than the originals to be quite honest. I think this is down to the poor headlamps on the Impreza's rather than the bulb itself.

Perhaps that's why folk running morettes notice a big improvement.

Stefan
Old 15 January 2003, 04:58 PM
neillarke
Scooby Regular

what bulbs do the morettes run on ?
I've seen a HID kit for them but its £££
I've been tempted by the fog lamp replacement kit - aprox £200
BUT thats only on with main beam.
I really want better dipped lights as well ???

cheers Neil
Old 15 January 2003, 08:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

You can still buy a set of "Cibie Oscar H4"'s, which would effectively double the light output on both main, and dip beam.
Fitting might be a pain though............ you'd end up fabricating your own bracket, and the Oscar is one of the "deepest" lamps about.
Alcazar