Notices

Help, UK300 light owners !

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 07:00 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A colleague followed me into work today to complain that one of my lights was "stuck on full beam" she said.
I checked for myself once parked up and flicked the lights to full beam. Only the inner lamps became brighter. Neither of the outer two intensified, though admittedly the offside one appears brighter than the nearside, but could this be due to alignment ?
What I want to know is are the outer two lenses supposed to get brighter on full beam ? I don't want to go back to dealer only to be told "they all do that sir!" Are they wired up correctly do you reckon ?
Thanks
Yorkie
Old 27 November 2002, 09:33 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

AFAIK on dipped beam you should only have 2 of the 4 lights on. Are you saying that you have all 4 lights on all the time ?

The light optics are not dual beam. One pair is dip, one pair is main beam. Forgot which ones in UK300 lights but usually the outer pair is dip.

(Or am I completely wrong and the UK300 lights are indeed H4's ?)

[Edited by jah - 11/27/2002 10:18:03 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 10:19 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Really?
Looks like the dealer has wired them up wrong then[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Anyone know how this may be possible?
On sidelights the two inner ones come on (these have two bulbs one horizontal one vertical)
On main beam dipped the outer ones come on
Is this correct are they set up properly ?

In other words, on dipped main beam all four are on, but when full beam is switched on the inner pair become brighter.

[Edited by Yorkie - 11/27/2002 10:25:15 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 11:02 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=141130

H7's in both lights & T4W's as side lights.

Mark

[Edited by FLAT ERIC - 11/27/2002 11:03:03 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 11:05 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yorkie,

As follows, sorry cr@p diagram, but you should get the point..

.(I)..................(I)
(D) (S/M) <grill> (S/M) (D)

(sorry had to use '.' cos space wasn't working)
I = indicator
D = dipped beam
S/M = Side lights / main beam

on dipped - D + S will be on
on main beam - D + M

M is the only one that gets brighter (cos they get switched on) when main beam is initiated.

D - won't get brighter even if they are wired up incorrectly (which is highly unlikely).

The dipped beam bulbs are different to the OE ones in the OE headlights and have that funny purple haze on the edge of the beam, they appear brighter to on coming traffic ESPECIALLY when not alligned properly - which is the most likely explanation for your issue. Get the dealer to check the allignment of the beams , this should have been done when they installed them.

Hope this helps, Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 11/27/2002 11:07:39 PM]
Old 27 November 2002, 11:51 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I had Morettes fitted prior to picking mine up and was a bit diasappointed by the full beam, my gti-6 morettes were a lot brighter as I think all 4 on it went on with full beam, but I have a lot of people flashing at me at night, I end up having to turn the height adjustment down to stop this. I will have to get the alignment checked at the 1000 mile service,
Old 28 November 2002, 08:45 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

UK 300 lights work in a pair for dip beam, then when switching to main beam, the second pair come on as well.
You do not get 4 lamps on dip, and only get the inner two light up on main beam. Remember back to ther good old capri, well same setup and just as crap.
Old 28 November 2002, 12:10 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

ScoobySlut - don't forget that the side lights sit in the same reflector unit as the main beam - and the side lights are lit up when you have dipped beam on.
Old 28 November 2002, 07:26 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for that, especially your diagram Dr Evil. I found the problem today. The offside outer lens was loose, yes loose, inside the housing. It had fallen fully back into the casing. I reached behind and pulled the rubber shroud upwards and I felt it click into a kind of soft ratchet. Both outers now emit the same beam, though I think I need to have a look at the adjusters at the weekend when I have more time. The lights also seem to emit a rainbow band on the road just in front (and on the backs of cars in front) though not bothered about this. At least it doesn't mean a trip to the dealer for the time being.