Notices

Switch for fuel guage

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 08:10 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone tell me if it would be an easy job to rig a switch to my fuel gauge,so when I leave the car the gauge will read empty.

I hate leaving it with a full tank with the gauge showing everyone its full(screeming rob me,rob ME!)
The car is a MY01 WRX

PS step by step instructions please,for an idiot

Later Yoza
Old 12 September 2002, 10:02 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoza,
I thought about doing this on my my00 car, the fuel, gauge sender unit is on the top of the fuel tank on the drivers side of the car, this can be accessed by removing the rear seat, on my car this is done by removing the two bolts in front of the rear squab, (might be diff on my01).
All you would then need to do is trace where the wires go to, somewhere under the dahs I'd guess, then splice a switch in to the wire, I was goon do mine with a relay, so that it didn't need switching back on again, imagine the horror when you look down having just got onto a motorway, only to see a fuel, gauge on empty!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, that shouldn't be a difficult job, just make sure you get good electrical connections, we wouldn't want a fire would we, Oh, and because you'd modified the wiring, you're not insured sir!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron.
Old 12 September 2002, 11:41 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

You'll probably find that the gauge doesn't move if you cut power, it simply stays where it is. Hence why if you fill up it doesn't go up until you put the key in the ignition.

The only way to do what you want is to put a switch in the fuel sender wire, and switch it while the key is still in the ignition (position 2) so that the gauge thinks the tank is empty. Then wait for it to go to empty and you can turn the key off and close the switch again leaving the gauge pointing at empty.

I've never checked it on an Impreza but other cars I've seen with a constant readout fuel gauge this is how it works (otherwise it would be drawing power all the time).
Old 12 September 2002, 11:56 PM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

yoza,

Get yourself a big shiny yellow Disklok instead and they won't be able to even see the fuel gauge
Old 13 September 2002, 12:22 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

Thanks chaps,
Ive decided to take it to an auto electrician see what he says,then if its not stupid money he can do it.

Till then got a nice yellow duster which ill leave scrunched up at the corner of me dash.
Cheers Yoza
Old 14 February 2007, 10:47 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk about bringing an old thread to life....
Did anyone do this? Its bad enough having a car most criminals would love as getaway car, and to show it with a full tank....