Notices

Crystal headlights with out motors

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2023, 11:58 AM
Marcus300BHP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal headlights with out motors

I am a little confused. I have a 1999 Subaru Type R V5 that was bought into the country back in the day brand new, at which time the JDM lights at the rear were swapped out for UK lights, dash converted to MPH you get the picture. Unfortunately for some bizarre reason the drivers side headlamp is is a DEPO light which always causes issues at MOT time, so I thought I would swap it for a genuine Subaru item, which I have sourced second hand to match the passenger side headlight.

Having come to fit the light I note that the new light I have sourced has a a motor and the existing genuine headlight does not and the car does not have the wiring either. Further inspection reveals the following:
  • Original passenger headlight - has the codes 0367 and HCR180, my hunch is that this refers to the fact it has no motor.
  • Second hand original driver headlight - has the codes 0366 and HCR170 do these codes relate to the fact it has a motor?
  1. So is my hunch correct?
  2. Does anybody know where I can source a headlight with out a motor? All the ones I see on ebay have motors.
Old 14 February 2023, 12:24 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

UK spec cars have pretty much always had manual height adjustment hence the motors you have fitted to your s/hand UK spec headlight.....
Old 14 February 2023, 06:17 PM
Marcus300BHP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Having now had time to ponder and stare at the new and old light for the drivers side it would seem that the existing reflector is for a LHD car. Which is what I have previously been told. So I am thinking that if I can extract the reflector from the new light and install it in the old light and transfer the lens then I can create a Frankenstein light that passes the MOT every time, or do the reverse and remove the motor and install the manual adjuster from the old light in the new one. The issue will be that new light is genuine Subaru and the old light is a DEPO so no doubt bits may mismatch.

Old 14 February 2023, 07:47 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus300BHP
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Having now had time to ponder and stare at the new and old light for the drivers side it would seem that the existing reflector is for a LHD car. Which is what I have previously been told. So I am thinking that if I can extract the reflector from the new light and install it in the old light and transfer the lens then I can create a Frankenstein light that passes the MOT every time, or do the reverse and remove the motor and install the manual adjuster from the old light in the new one. The issue will be that new light is genuine Subaru and the old light is a DEPO so no doubt bits may mismatch.
Get a genuine UK light. IIRC they can be adjusted manually.

Last edited by 1509joe; 14 February 2023 at 07:56 PM.