Notices

Scratched and disscolored Blobeye headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2022, 02:29 PM
Gonewest
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratched and disscolored Blobeye headlight lenses

Hi All first post here. Just bought my first Subaru a 2005 WRX prodrive hatch.
The lights are crazed, disscoloured and scratched What options are available for replacement lensses/ lights.
Working shifts in NE Scotland I need good lights.

Old 10 October 2022, 04:16 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Get your local body shop to buff them and then some ceramic coating.
The following users liked this post:
Old 16 October 2022, 08:33 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're handy and they're really, really bad then 400 grit, followed by 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit all used wet and then decent 2k or high solids PU clear coat to make them last. If they're not so bad then dispense with the 400 grit. If you don't want to paint then use the normal compounds on a buffer and then ceramic coat, but it really doesn't do much to prevent the plastic degrading with UV, IMO. I've been there and tried it with the Impreza and my old CRV and it lasts about as long as you would expect it to with just the polish.
Old 16 October 2022, 08:47 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Gtechniq C2V3 Ceramic Sealant for Cars, Protect Car Paintwork, Trim, Tyres and Windows, High Shine, Easy to Apply - 1L (Sufficient for 4-5 Large Cars) : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive Gtechniq C2V3 Ceramic Sealant for Cars, Protect Car Paintwork, Trim, Tyres and Windows, High Shine, Easy to Apply - 1L (Sufficient for 4-5 Large Cars) : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
Old 16 October 2022, 09:56 PM
Gonewest
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amazon kit

Thanks for the answers, I have ordered a kit off Amazon will give that a go. Have watched a few YouTube videos
and seams like a DIY job if the kit is good enough. If I mess it up I have the number of a local body shop that can do it.
Trying to sought things at home first as waiting for my mechanic friend to help with gearbox swap before driving too far.
Only other job I have to sought at the moment is drivers side window doesn't move so think a new motor is required all other windows work as they should.
Old 16 October 2022, 09:59 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Most of the kits I've seen seem pretty reasonable. When sanding with the coarser papers you want to watch for the liquid running off to go from yellow to white; this is the sign that you've removed all the degraded plastic and you can move onto the refining grades of paper, and compound/polish.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:18 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonewest
Thanks for the answers, I have ordered a kit off Amazon will give that a go. Have watched a few YouTube videos
and seams like a DIY job if the kit is good enough. If I mess it up I have the number of a local body shop that can do it.
Trying to sought things at home first as waiting for my mechanic friend to help with gearbox swap before driving too far.
Only other job I have to sought at the moment is drivers side window doesn't move so think a new motor is required all other windows work as they should.
I'm not sure if you have the same issue as me, I've not found the answer yet and I have replaced the motor. If I put the window all the way up it will get stuck, if I put it up and then immediately press down for a split second (enough to release a little tension but not enough to create a gap) it seems to work perfectly. Maybe the buttons need changing? Or it needs adjusting somehow