Notices

Permanent Battery charging options

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2021, 11:12 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Permanent Battery charging options

I'm using my Forester less and less now, so have to keep the battery charged with my C-tek charger that I've had for 7 odd years. I've charged it multiple times with it. Usually I just use the crocodile clips straight to the battery, run the cable up through the gap in where the bonnet and scuttle panel meet, through a slightly open passenger window, then the charger itself just manages to rest on the passenger side of the dashboard and I can easily see the progress lights through the windscreen.
I've only just today, used the eyelet comfort connector (https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...nect-eyelet-m8) that I can leave connected permanently to the battery. But I still have to open up the bonnet, and run the cable in the same way as above.

I just wondered if anyone who regularly charges their car, outside, has any easier options. For example, all the charging connectors in the car. I know some cars can have their batteries charged from the cigarette lighter port. I always assumed that wasn't an option as its not a permanent live with the ignition off.
Old 31 December 2021, 07:25 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...tor-panel-3-3m
The following users liked this post:
Old 31 December 2021, 08:54 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I use the above, works well. I use the car quite a bit, but have put a smaller battery in it so keep it on the CTEK.
Old 31 December 2021, 05:33 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

My parents Forester has a parasitic draw so until I can be bothered to find and fix the problem I’ve lengthened the wires so the connector can fit behind the headlight and through the grille. The connector sits happily zip tied out of sight inside the grille but can be pulled through to connect without having to touch the bonnet.

Of course that still doesn’t always stop the battery going flat because they don’t always plug it in
Old 01 January 2022, 10:31 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. I'm not too fussed about the battery level indicator though, so may as well use a longer comfort connector into the car in that case. Easier to keep hidden.

Originally Posted by matt-c
I use the above, works well. I use the car quite a bit, but have put a smaller battery in it so keep it on the CTEK.
Its been a while since I've been in the car, that I can't remember if I even have a spare switch blank. If you have got a pic though, it would be interesting to see how you have it mounted.

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
My parents Forester has a parasitic draw so until I can be bothered to find and fix the problem I’ve lengthened the wires so the connector can fit behind the headlight and through the grille. The connector sits happily zip tied out of sight inside the grille but can be pulled through to connect without having to touch the bonnet.

Of course that still doesn’t always stop the battery going flat because they don’t always plug it in
Thanks, that's another good idea, although I'd prefer to keep it all inside the car, as it lives outside. I don't want to get back to the car to find someone has nicked the charger.
Old 01 January 2022, 10:45 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

You can run an extension from the charger so the charger would be safe inside. Parents keep the window on the latch so it’s secure but there’s enough space to pass the cable through and out to the car.
Old 02 January 2022, 05:12 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to simply disconnect the battery when not in use for any length of time?
The following users liked this post:

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2022, 07:34 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Wouldn't it be easier to simply disconnect the battery when not in use for any length of time?
I wouldn't say so. I wouldn't have a functioning car alarm then, and would need to connect it up again to use it. If I didn't already have a battery charger then that might be an option.
Old 02 January 2022, 08:18 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I don't think that people really respond to car alarms nowadays, unless you can recognise your own. I fit these to all my cars:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03 January 2022, 09:42 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

My car is quite close by, round the back of the house or on the driveway. But I may still get one of those kill switches anyway. as when I do forget to charge the battery, the alarm does let me know, and it won't stop telling me or the whole street until I do disconnect the battery. 1am last time. That was fun.
Old 04 January 2022, 01:15 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

My alarm just notifies me that my battery is low, hence the kill switch.
Old 05 January 2022, 03:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get a CTek extension lead you could leave connected to the eyelet lead with the end in your glove box ready to connect.
Old 24 January 2022, 08:21 PM
shepbomb
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an extension lead, from there i undo the access to the oil filter on the under tray and drop the cable through in front of the timing belt cover…. It means the car can be bonnet down and charging.