Notices

Clifford cobra toad.... Alarms???

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2015, 10:33 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clifford cobra toad.... Alarms???

Guys done a search but nothing really comes back... Will need an alarm install on a jdm can I have your thoughts on the above, which ones the best to go for and why? Or any other brand to look at?

Would like to know what you guys have as I know nothing about alarms

Thanks in advance

Martin
Old 06 February 2015, 10:58 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mate,

I have what I believe is a European import (Alarm install was not factory fit) and it wasn't the greatest, still a sigma but didn't feel that secure.

I chose a Clifford Concept 650 mainly because I went to a local fitter (Motorguard in Birmingham) to get Clifford Black Jax fitted as I feel its one of the best £200 or so I ever spent on my last Scooby.

Anyway after discussing my concerns about the current alarm and my desire for the Black Jax he suggested going for the Concept 650 as the black Jax is part of that system and the overall all alarm was much better than the Sigma I had currently.

They also included the add on module for anti lift / tilt to protect the wheels and towing away etc..
Also wired a turbo timer in on the aux channel. Which completely secures the car while the timer runs, He said it was as secure as locking it without the engine running.

we also discussed the add on options such as total closure which I can get added to the system at a later date if required.

All in for removal of old alarm, fitting concept 650, additional unit and turbo timer plus two flashing stickers in the windscreen (One of which I already had) I paid £450.

Very pleased with it and highly recommend it and Motor guard.

I suppose my main reason other than the reputation of Clifford was the black jax system, I have had Toad systems too and liked them but really highly rate the black jax.

Mark
Old 06 February 2015, 11:05 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Hi Mate,

I have what I believe is a European import (Alarm install was not factory fit) and it wasn't the greatest, still a sigma but didn't feel that secure.

I chose a Clifford Concept 650 mainly because I went to a local fitter (Motorguard in Birmingham) to get Clifford Black Jax fitted as I feel its one of the best £200 or so I ever spent on my last Scooby.

Anyway after discussing my concerns about the current alarm and my desire for the Black Jax he suggested going for the Concept 650 as the black Jax is part of that system and the overall all alarm was much better than the Sigma I had currently.

They also included the add on module for anti lift / tilt to protect the wheels and towing away etc..
Also wired a turbo timer in on the aux channel. Which completely secures the car while the timer runs, He said it was as secure as locking it without the engine running.

we also discussed the add on options such as total closure which I can get added to the system at a later date if required.

All in for removal of old alarm, fitting concept 650, additional unit and turbo timer plus two flashing stickers in the windscreen (One of which I already had) I paid £450.

Very pleased with it and highly recommend it and Motor guard.

I suppose my main reason other than the reputation of Clifford was the black jax system, I have had Toad systems too and liked them but really highly rate the black jax.

Mark
Thanks mark, a very detailed explanation you gave... This sounds exactly what Id want... Heard about the black jax do you have to key in a code when you start the car?

Martin
Old 06 February 2015, 11:17 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

No problem mate

Basically its a little two button keypad you can have installed anywhere, One button is a star the other smooth and you use it to enter a pin number between two and four digits (I believe) Say your pin was 15 you press the buttons in the sequence pressing the star after each number

i.e 15 would be smooth star smooth x5 star, The blue led flashes to tell you the car is ok to drive.

(Buttons might be the other way around, I do it without thinking) Had mine installed next to the intercooler spray on the dash behind the ignition so its not noticeable you are doing something else other than starting the car.

If you did go for it get the installer to attach it to all four doors as some only wire it to the drivers door !!

And believe me it works, several times I have forgotten to enter it and it shuts the car down a treat, far enough away from the start point for you to be safe

Mark.
Old 06 February 2015, 11:22 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

No problem mate

Basically its a little two button keypad you can have installed anywhere, One button is a star the other smooth and you use it to enter a pin number between two and four digits (I believe) Say your pin was 15 you press the buttons in the sequence pressing the star after each number

i.e 15 would be smooth star smooth x5 star, The blue led flashes to tell you the car is ok to drive.

(Buttons might be the other way around, I do it without thinking) Had mine installed next to the intercooler spray on the dash behind the ignition so its not noticeable you are doing something else other than starting the car.

If you did go for it get the installer to attach it to all four doors as some only wire it to the drivers door !!

And believe me it works, several times I have forgotten to enter it and it shuts the car down a treat, far enough away from the start point for you to be safe

Mark.
Sounds good mate... I'll google fitters of this in manchester.. Sounds like a very good, useful system to keep the car protected. Thanks again for the info

Martin
Old 06 February 2015, 11:23 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

My Sigma went bye bye, installer recommended Clifford over Toad and another manufacturer due to the lifetime guarantee and quality of the kit.
I'd avoid Blackjax personally having read too many horror stories about it causing cars to break down in nasty situations, and tbh in this day and age if someone wants your car they'll take it regardless.
Old 06 February 2015, 11:31 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
Sounds good mate... I'll google fitters of this in manchester.. Sounds like a very good, useful system to keep the car protected. Thanks again for the info

Martin

No problem mate
Old 06 February 2015, 11:34 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
My Sigma went bye bye, installer recommended Clifford over Toad and another manufacturer due to the lifetime guarantee and quality of the kit.
I'd avoid Blackjax personally having read too many horror stories about it causing cars to break down in nasty situations, and tbh in this day and age if someone wants your car they'll take it regardless.

Really ?? I have never heard of any problem or experienced any (Had it on 3 cars now)

Very true about the comment regarding this day and age, but even with the keys without the pin they won't get far until it shuts down
Old 07 February 2015, 08:06 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Only had one problem with blackjax when the buttons went faulty. It's a good system if you don't mind putting the code in every time the doors opened.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:08 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
Only had one problem with blackjax when the buttons went faulty. It's a good system if you don't mind putting the code in every time the doors opened.
Did you have one fitted to the spec C jake? And do you know any good fitters around manchester?

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 09:26 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

not the blackjax, but it did have Clifford.

think theres a guy in bury
Old 07 February 2015, 10:13 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
not the blackjax, but it did have Clifford.

think theres a guy in bury
Cheers jake... Which Clifford did you have?

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 11:40 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Toad Ai606 to my classic and made use of all it's features. Two immobilising circuits, tilt and shock detection, anti car jacking, microwave sensors, window close and remote boot opening come to mind first. It's been in for two years now with no problems at all.
Old 07 February 2015, 11:48 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
I fitted a Toad Ai606 to my classic and made use of all it's features. Two immobilising circuits, tilt and shock detection, anti car jacking, microwave sensors, window close and remote boot opening come to mind first. It's been in for two years now with no problems at all.
I'll have a search of toad too mate... Thanks for the reply, want to go to a reputable place regardless of cost to get a good system fitted to a high standard..

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 12:28 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

One thing I should add is the fob range isn't great. You need to be within 3 metres of the car to open/close it. Doesn't really matter I suppose, no reason to be 50 metres away and open it anyway! My only gripe with it is if the alarm is triggered and having to go right up to the car to reset it.
Old 07 February 2015, 01:09 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
One thing I should add is the fob range isn't great. You need to be within 3 metres of the car to open/close it. Doesn't really matter I suppose, no reason to be 50 metres away and open it anyway! My only gripe with it is if the alarm is triggered and having to go right up to the car to reset it.
I've been online and seems there's a place that can fit a Clifford 650 for £330...

http://www.secureacar.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=43&catid=2

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 02:17 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Really ?? I have never heard of any problem or experienced any (Had it on 3 cars now)

Very true about the comment regarding this day and age, but even with the keys without the pin they won't get far until it shuts down
Yes really.
Just Google "clifford black jax scoobynet" and read some of the threads on here or search on here directly.

The biggest complaints are:
1. It rearms every time you open a door meaning if you're exiting a motorway services for example and it cuts power as you join a motorway if you forget to deactivate it you're going to have a potentially nasty situation.

2. It invalidates the category 1 status of the alarm installation and

3. If it goes wrong you have a module that can retard your car to a point where it could be dangerous to you; I know it has some features designed to let other road users it's stopping but I would be a little bit wary I have to admit.

It's a Nice idea, perhaps I'm just too much of a sceptic
The concept is a great alarm nonetheless and has some superb offerings like tilt sensor to prevent the vehicle being towed.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 February 2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07 February 2015, 03:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin, only one person I would trust to fit a Clifford 650 Mk II in the Manchester (actually the north west) and he has done 4 clifford alarms for me and that is Tim Doyle in Dukinfield.

http://www.trilogyincar.com/

I should say that if fitted correctly (hence I use Tim), there are no real issues with Blackjax, its a standard feature of the 650 Mk II, the buttons can go but thats after several years and have only had 1 thats given me an issue.
Speak with Tim, will take most of the day to fit and it will need a bit of an adjustment after a couple of weeks once its settled in which takes a few mins to do, otherwise no issues with them

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 07 February 2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07 February 2015, 03:20 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Martin, only one person I would trust to fit a Clifford 650 Mk II in the Manchester (actually the north west) and he has done 4 clifford alarms for me and that is Tim Doyle in Dukinfield.

Tony
That's brilliant Tony... What sort of system did you have? Did you have the black jax?

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 03:21 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

Tony
+1000000000000000000000

Tim fitted an alarm to my new car yesterday, true subaru legend
I've used and recommended him for many years.

If you're in Manchester then really it is a no brainer
Old 07 February 2015, 03:23 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AbbasSTI
+1000000000000000000000

Tim fitted an alarm to my new car yesterday, true subaru legend
I've used and recommended him for many years.

If you're in Manchester then really it is a no brainer
Exactly what I needed to hear.. Members feedback and experience I'll check the site now guys

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 03:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The Spec C ltd had a 650 Mk II which comes with blackjax standard

Tony
Old 07 February 2015, 03:30 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

The Spec C ltd had a 650 Mk II which comes with blackjax standard

Tony
Cheers Tony... Dropped them a mesage and Google maps says it's only 30mins away so happy days

Martin
Old 07 February 2015, 09:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Old 08 February 2015, 08:28 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Yes really.
Just Google "clifford black jax scoobynet" and read some of the threads on here or search on here directly.

The biggest complaints are:
1. It rearms every time you open a door meaning if you're exiting a motorway services for example and it cuts power as you join a motorway if you forget to deactivate it you're going to have a potentially nasty situation.

2. It invalidates the category 1 status of the alarm installation and

3. If it goes wrong you have a module that can retard your car to a point where it could be dangerous to you; I know it has some features designed to let other road users it's stopping but I would be a little bit wary I have to admit.

It's a Nice idea, perhaps I'm just too much of a sceptic
The concept is a great alarm nonetheless and has some superb offerings like tilt sensor to prevent the vehicle being towed.
For me point one isn't an issue and the whole point of the system!!
If it didn't rearm then in a car jacking situation it would be pointless as the thief would just drive away.
The point of black jax is to allow the car to be driven a distance away then bring it to a controlled stop.
Minor inconvenience having to enter the pin for the additional security it gives.

I believe it is ok as cat 1 because it's part of the system, either way I got no discount for having it fitted, purely peace of mind knowing it was better than what was there.

Point 3 you could argue that with any electronic device on a car, I'm sure a malfunction of many electronic devices would render the car useless until fixed.

I can why some would be cautious but because of toe rags we need to have these kind of systems and IMO the Concept 650 is a great system.