Notices

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2007, 07:31 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed

i have bought wheels for my car was thinkin of lowerin it as well, all at once dont want it looking like a boat.

i ve heard sti shocks and springs are a good investment!!!! its for a classic, so i take it the shocks and springs would need to be from a classic sti???
( probably a stupid question ) thought it would be better to check

also im not sure how much they would go for.

had also seen tein spring on the internet but personally i think the sti set up would be better!!!

any comments or thoeries???

davey
Old 26 October 2007, 08:30 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

The STI reds are a fantastic suspension. Getting quite hard to come by though and selling s/h for £80 a corner. STI do a Pink lowering spring also. I had them in my RA track/drag and road theyre the perfect set-up
Old 26 October 2007, 08:32 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Oh and the new age fronts will fit no prob although the rears need the strut top changed. Their a little longer so you will need lowering springs.
Old 27 October 2007, 06:36 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

dead on thanks for the reply. will be looking into this then
Old 27 October 2007, 08:46 AM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

hey davey man - i put eibach pro springs in and my car neva budged!

its a nicer ride (o-er misses!) but it still looks abit HIGH.
Old 27 October 2007, 09:26 AM
robertgraham
Scooby Regular

Can also recommend the sti red shocks and pink springs, great job
Old 27 October 2007, 06:04 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Post H+R Springs....

Originally Posted by geoffo
hey davey man - i put eibach pro springs in and my car neva budged!

its a nicer ride (o-er misses!) but it still looks abit HIGH.
I had eibach springs in the RB5 and although they were a great spring for handling they didnt lower the car to my liking ....so I got a set of H+R 50mm springs from Street Racer in Bangor (think they're around £200 all in). The car now sits at a nice height, good and low:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...17/stirb14.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...617/stirb2.jpg

(Both these cars above have H+R 50mm springs fitted)

If its top notch handling you want ud be better with the eibachs in my opinion!!

Kevin
Old 28 October 2007, 10:57 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i like the look of the two cars in that picture just the right height
is it a stiff ride? ( lol )
Old 28 October 2007, 10:59 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

ride height looks great on them 2.

I lowered mine 30mm and think it still needs 2 go a bit lower.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:06 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

im putting on 205/45/17 for the old back roads..... figured i d need some rubber to soak up them oversized pot holes so 50 on H&R s might be a bit much
Old 28 October 2007, 11:13 AM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

mines down 40mm on ebach springs with 225/40/17s im very happy with the set up
Old 28 October 2007, 12:37 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Springs....

Originally Posted by davey21wagon
i like the look of the two cars in that picture just the right height
is it a stiff ride? ( lol )
Naw its defo naw a harsh ride....id say if anything the eibachs were a stiffer spring ....the H+R's would be a softer spring for sure

My car has 205/45/17 tyres fitted also, and i live on we bumpy potholey backroads and have had no problems with the car so far on this set-up. I mite luk for coilovers next year to go lower but my mate bought a 97 wrx out of Japan there with an unknown make of coilovers and f*** me it was awful....as hard as a goats toe and really made u that sick that u wudnt wana drive the car so i dont want something that stiff either....but i do like my cars low though!!

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 28 October 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 28 October 2007, 12:51 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

after seeing kevins and after him assuring me i can fit the h&r springs tot he prodrive handling pack setup after so many tld me i couldnt... ill be investing in these should the need arise.

i`ve a pick here from the mcrae convoy and mine looks like a tractor beside his
Old 28 October 2007, 12:56 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by OLLIeRB5
after seeing kevins and after him assuring me i can fit the h&r springs tot he prodrive handling pack setup after so many tld me i couldnt... ill be investing in these should the need arise.

i`ve a pick here from the mcrae convoy and mine looks like a tractor beside his
Well my mate with the sti in the pic was also told he couldnt fit these springs to an sti, and as u can see in the pics the cars are sitting exactly the same height, and he has no problems with the springs either.

I also have another mate who is on the forum (scooby_doo) who has the H+R's fitted and he thinks theyre a gud job too
Old 28 October 2007, 12:58 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

god i would nt think of coilovers id break or bend something in no time

mind u if id i 200sx it would be 1 of the first things i d buy. i think i ll maybe go with the H&R s and the sti shocks that could be a good job,

i know a guy with an older legacy with the sti shocks and springs it sits very nice, low but good ride

u said around 200 pound for the H&R springs ?????
Old 28 October 2007, 01:06 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nawt just 100% sure mate but theyre in and around £160-£200, definately nawt more than £200. The h+r's are quite hard to find tho ....but a shop 'street racer' in bangor got me mine no bother.

Give them a call on 02891274111, they were good and helpful to me, and had the springs at my door in a few days, but if theyve to come from Germany u could be talking up to ten days
Old 28 October 2007, 01:11 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

dead on mate if i can find my pin number for my credit card i might just buy them tomorrow

**** sake i wanna to much at once need an ecu to plus paying someone to fit it overtime is gonna have to happen up to christmas
Old 28 October 2007, 01:17 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

dead on mate if i can find my pin number for my credit card i might just buy them tomorrow

**** sake i wanna to much at once need an ecu to plus paying someone to fit it overtime is gonna have to happen up to christmas
Tell me about it....ive just bought a set of sti rear lights on the classifieds section and rear whiteline droplinks....and ive to get the ecu and all fitted before christmas as well........i just cant help meself, if i see something i need (or think i need ) i just put meself in debt and go and buy it....fecking old scoobs, theyre like a drug
Old 28 October 2007, 01:26 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

lol, i`m containing my buying urges... i blame jamie (j16 JRF) he keeps getting me excited by talking about more power and more boost.

so i`m currently flogging everything to get that boost controller
Old 28 October 2007, 01:34 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i have been considering just getting the boost controller fitted with the fuel pump!!!

i have the boost controller already fitting into the sun visor ( it s the blitz sbc and the power meter ) so when im driving i m looking at alot its klling me cause i want it working.
Old 28 October 2007, 01:40 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Wink

i have been considering just getting the boost controller fitted with the fuel pump!!!

i have the boost controller already fitting into the sun visor ( it s the blitz sbc and the power meter ) so when im driving i m looking at alot its klling me cause i want it working.
I fitted the boost controller, walbro pump, aeromotive regulator and induction all at once and i have to say i was noticably impressed with the difference.
I like getting two or three things done at once and seeing a bigger hike in power ye see . I was hoping to fit me big turbo at the same time as the front mont/ecu/headers etc in november, but a good turbo is anything from £800-£1500+ for a 18/20g andy forrest one or similar....so there will be no big turbo to the new year
Old 28 October 2007, 01:53 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

turbo i would love a hybrid? i can t spell 1 of my many faults. my friend has a starlet with a good bit done then got his turbo done at aet turbo and **** me the car moved he passed me at 115 off the sandknownes roundabout up that hill in a 1.3,

thats y i am wanting the ecu etc .... see from i ve even got a full system plus air filter i ve notice enough of a difference for all it is .... plus then quarter mile s next year won t be just as embarassing hopefully
Old 28 October 2007, 01:56 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i find it just getting a hold of michael when u also have the money is hard enough plus when he s not flat out ....that s y i like get a couple things done at once too
Old 28 October 2007, 02:06 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

i find it just getting a hold of michael when u also have the money is hard enough plus when he s not flat out ....that s y i like get a couple things done at once too
Yep, u just gotta keep ringing Michael and when u finally get him u just gota have a loada bits ready at once and jam him in a corner and say "right i'll lift that car when its all done"

He is good tho, and thats the problem now, so many people have heard about him that hes so busy now.
Iv been going to OMA now for 2 or 3 years now and hes done plenty of jobs on my 2 litre astra and me cavalier turbo etc and hes never been stumped with any weird problem iv sent him yet!!
Old 28 October 2007, 02:14 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

he is a good guy i would never consider taking my car anywhere else, u know he s not just throwning bits in without checking the cars responds to the bits and he s not just screwing a load of power outta it

going go out pick some paint for my wheels now. need 4 fookin tyres as well damn it this credit card is gonna take a kickin
Old 28 October 2007, 02:27 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Gona wash the car....

he is a good guy i would never consider taking my car anywhere else, u know he s not just throwning bits in without checking the cars responds to the bits and he s not just screwing a load of power outta it

going go out pick some paint for my wheels now. need 4 fookin tyres as well damn it this credit card is gonna take a kickin
Well ive just bought a foam lance and some snow foam for my pressure washer from Autobrite in the Car Care section and got it delivered yesterday so gona go here and try it out.

Watch out for a thread later on today on how it performs....hoping for some thick foam with it
Old 31 October 2007, 09:38 PM
mr.sheen
Scooby Regular

i would do some research into H&R springs first i had them in my car which doesnt get any abuse at all , the car doesnt drive in the winter nor even if its wet. but recently i had a right hand rear spring break, there was no sign of corrosion or fatigue. a friend with the same year car with younger H&R springs fitted done the same only on the front. ive also heard of other cars with the same problem. ask michael at OMA
Old 01 November 2007, 07:37 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

too fooking late we ll see if mine break

i heard this to after i had bought them but hopefully it ll be alright, not something i wanna find out at speed mind u

wonder y they break???????? i ll crack up if i have to take them out again they ll be getting sent back, u would think they would test these things to a good tolerence
Old 01 November 2007, 07:53 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

had a set of PI springs fitted to a 306, it was sitting out my front when I heard a large bang! the front spring completely shattered!
Old 01 November 2007, 08:00 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i had an accord before which i had lowered and the springs made the odd noise in the driveway,,,, not loud banging but u could hear it in the house

Quick Reply: advice needed