Notices

MOT pass with a very noisy exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2007, 10:25 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT pass with a very noisy exhaust??

Up for MOT this Sat, but theres no cat on my exhaust and I've got a very loud HKS Hi-Power exhaust system fitted to my 2002 WRX. What are the chances of it passing without a bung in the tailpipe and no cat fitted ?
Old 07 May 2007, 09:30 AM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

Im not sure if they check the actual noise of your exhaust at MOT but having no cat will definetly make it harder to pass the MOT. You would just have to chance it and see or else get your cat back on if you still have it.
Old 07 May 2007, 10:21 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Was thinking of getting an exhaust bung from somewhere to quieten it down a bit and not draw unwanted attention to it at the MOT.
I've just spent most of the day replacing the rear shocks, the passenger side one was completely knackered. The handling is now awesome and puts a smile on the face again !!!
Does anyone know where I could beg steal or borrow a 4.5" exhaust bung before Saturday ?
Old 07 May 2007, 11:25 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

GT what make of struts did you use to replace the originals? I really need to sort the rear out on mine.

I will check with a mate of mine about a bung. He just ordered one so i will see if he has got it and if he will lend it
Old 07 May 2007, 11:29 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

It's up to the discretion of the tester about the noise level of the exhaust. I have a friendly MOT tester & he wouldn't pass my Volvo with no silencers/side exit. Had to make up a new exhaust with a mini silencer to take the edge off it & all was ok. May be worth just driving down there & asking if the exhaust is gonna be a problem before you even get it tested.
Old 08 May 2007, 09:59 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayPSC
It's up to the discretion of the tester about the noise level of the exhaust. I have a friendly MOT tester & he wouldn't pass my Volvo with no silencers/side exit. Had to make up a new exhaust with a mini silencer to take the edge off it & all was ok. May be worth just driving down there & asking if the exhaust is gonna be a problem before you even get it tested.
Friendly tester's do not exist over here.
All testing centres are operated by government authorities (DVTA)
We don't have the same as you i.e. MOT garages etc.

Shaun
Old 08 May 2007, 08:37 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Scooby blue - last MOT MY00 passed with just a magnex downpipe, blitz 2.5 inch non-resonated centre section and blitz nur spec back section. The tester told me on the day that my car was under the required emissions levels but next year (this year) would need a cat fitted becasue they would be doing a visual inspection to ensure one was present. I have been holding off getting my car MOT'd for this reason I cant find a cat down pipe for the day. If anyone has successfully admitted a classic without cat for testing I'd like to hear from them.

cheers,
TT

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2007, 10:11 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz4065
GT what make of struts did you use to replace the originals? I really need to sort the rear out on mine.

I will check with a mate of mine about a bung. He just ordered one so i will see if he has got it and if he will lend it
I just replaced them with KYB struts,they cost me £164, the cornering at speed was becoming scary. It was only when I took the knackered shock out that I realised how bad it was
Old 08 May 2007, 10:40 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Scooby blue - last MOT MY00 passed with just a magnex downpipe, blitz 2.5 inch non-resonated centre section and blitz nur spec back section. The tester told me on the day that my car was under the required emissions levels but next year (this year) would need a cat fitted becasue they would be doing a visual inspection to ensure one was present. I have been holding off getting my car MOT'd for this reason I cant find a cat down pipe for the day. If anyone has successfully admitted a classic without cat for testing I'd like to hear from them.

cheers,
TT
TT I have an OE downpipe from a MY96 WRX if it will fit your MY00 your more than welcome to borrow it for the test mate.PM me if any use to you.
I ran a WRX with HKS downpipe,straight through centre section and Magnex back box with no probs through the test,was about 3-4 years ago now.
Old 10 May 2007, 08:28 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Default NOISY

Originally Posted by GT Scooby blue
Was thinking of getting an exhaust bung from somewhere to quieten it down a bit and not draw unwanted attention to it at the MOT.
I've just spent most of the day replacing the rear shocks, the passenger side one was completely knackered. The handling is now awesome and puts a smile on the face again !!!
Does anyone know where I could beg steal or borrow a 4.5" exhaust bung before Saturday ?

YA SHOULD HAVE SAID EARLIER, CUD AVE LENT YA A STD STI BACK BOX, BUT SOLD OUT ON TUE AS MY MATE NO LONGER HAS HIS SCOOBY
Old 12 May 2007, 09:22 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Passed its MOT today without a cat, I bought an exhaust bung from markymark34 and many thanks for it mate. Quietened it down a hell of a lot and didnt draw any undue attention to it from the inspectors.
Old 13 May 2007, 01:13 PM
pheunos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GT Scooby blue
Passed its MOT today without a cat, I bought an exhaust bung from markymark34 and many thanks for it mate. Quietened it down a hell of a lot and didnt draw any undue attention to it from the inspectors.
Thats good to know, I've got a full decat system and was a bit concerned about the MOT. Its not for a while yet but I wasn't looking forward to having to buy a new exhaust system..

Which test centre did you go to?
Old 13 May 2007, 10:07 PM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pheunos
Thats good to know, I've got a full decat system and was a bit concerned about the MOT. Its not for a while yet but I wasn't looking forward to having to buy a new exhaust system..

Which test centre did you go to?
Newry....the tester seemed more interested in getting it through so he could take it for a spin round the building!!!