Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RON 98 in Northern Ireland

my rb320 needs ron 98 where can i get this

wats everyone else using for their sti
Old 22 April 2007, 07:32 PM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

I dont think any petrol stations over here do 98ron i think shell Optimax is 98 ron but i have never seen it over here, as far as i know we only have 97ron.

Does it say in the manual that it needs 98ron ?, as im surprised subaru are selling cars over here that need a petrol no one sells (as far i know anyway)
Old 22 April 2007, 07:38 PM
alanb2000
Scooby Regular

yeh the fuel filler cap says ron 98 which is not a problem in england

are not ALL stis supposed to run on ron 98? as the rb320 is a ppp sti engine- or is a base sti ok on 97 ron and the ppp ecu remap causes the ron to increase?
Old 22 April 2007, 07:48 PM
daz4065
Scooby Regular

Been using super unleaded in past two STI type uk's. Works fine. Don't know about the latest STI engine though?
Old 22 April 2007, 07:56 PM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

I would check with prodrive as they are responsible for the PPP conversion and should be able to tell you exactly what you need to use.

Its the first time i have heard of it actually giving a ron rating in the filler cap. I have a classic and on the filler cap it just says to use super.

I would say that 97 ron would be ok to use in it as your engine management system should adjust to the lower grade fuel but i would definelty check with prodrive as soon as possible about it.

Or another thing to do would be to get it onto a rolling road with the 97 ron in it and check that its going ok and not detonating.
Old 22 April 2007, 09:24 PM
alanb2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAWLEY
I would check with prodrive as they are responsible for the PPP conversion and should be able to tell you exactly what you need to use.

Its the first time i have heard of it actually giving a ron rating in the filler cap. I have a classic and on the filler cap it just says to use super.

I would say that 97 ron would be ok to use in it as your engine management system should adjust to the lower grade fuel but i would definelty check with prodrive as soon as possible about it.

Or another thing to do would be to get it onto a rolling road with the 97 ron in it and check that its going ok and not detonating.
i checked over at the rb320 owners site and apparently ALL stis with ppp have this on filler cap, also one guy says is also on his my03 wrx!
Old 23 April 2007, 07:17 PM
TurboGirl
Scooby Regular

Yep it says to use 98 RON on the filler cap on MY03 WRX.
Old 23 April 2007, 08:54 PM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

Do you just use 97ron turbogirl, or do you know of anywhere that does 98ron
Old 23 April 2007, 09:16 PM
TurboGirl
Scooby Regular

Yes I use 97, BP Ultimate Nowhere does 98 over here that I'm aware of. Bring on the tesco 99 if we ever get it!!
Old 23 April 2007, 09:57 PM
alanb2000
Scooby Regular

so everyone in northern ireland driving wrx 2003+ and stis is driving on the wrong fuel?
Old 23 April 2007, 10:11 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Basically yes !!! Try running BP Ultimate or Texaco super (both 97 Ron) with Milllers octane boost to get the right rating, expensive habit, but then isnt everything to do with scoobs expensive.....

Had heard that several Shell outlets over here were doing the 99 fuel, buth there were only about 6 of em, and the one in Larne closed down for a refurb before I could even confirm ut was being sold there.

Tesco are supposed to be doing 99 on the mainland but after speaking to a few store managers they dont seem interested in bringing it over here.

PS dont get caught out thinking over the border will be cheaper for super as its is nearly £1.20 a litre and absolute crap. Knocklink on my mates P1 nearly jumped out the window after filling up in Donegal last year
Old 23 April 2007, 10:26 PM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

I read recently thatmany Octane Boosters contain lead or lead-like substances which will damage the catalytic convertor and oxygen (Lambda) sensor. So if your going to use an octane booster i would check this out before putting it in your tank.
Old 24 April 2007, 01:49 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

very few, if any modern octane boosters use lead. Most use Manganese or similar products.

97 is as good as it gets over here... and down South, you'll be lucky to even find that apparently !!!
BP Ultimate is the easiest source of 97 RON fuel here in the North. Some other garages do sell it too...but most dont.

Shell sell something they call V-Power down South, but its 95 RON !!!!! Not the same stuff the get on the mainland with the same name.
Old 24 April 2007, 02:14 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brocks
Basically yes !!! Try running BP Ultimate or Texaco super (both 97 Ron) with Milllers octane boost to get the right rating, expensive habit, but then isnt everything to do with scoobs expensive.....

Had heard that several Shell outlets over here were doing the 99 fuel, buth there were only about 6 of em, and the one in Larne closed down for a refurb before I could even confirm ut was being sold there.

Tesco are supposed to be doing 99 on the mainland but after speaking to a few store managers they dont seem interested in bringing it over here.

PS dont get caught out thinking over the border will be cheaper for super as its is nearly £1.20 a litre and absolute crap. Knocklink on my mates P1 nearly jumped out the window after filling up in Donegal last year

sorry guys, YOU CANNOT GET SUPER, SUPER PLUS PETROL ACCROSS THE BORDER , THEY ONLY HAVE 95 OCT PETROL , THATS WHY ALL THE BOY'S AND GIRLS DOWN THERE GET THERE CARS REMAPPED BY ANDY FORREST

IT MAY SAY ITS SUPER BUT ITS NOT, ALSO SUPER AND SUPER PLUS DOES HAVE A SHELF LIFE

Last edited by gojonnyjo; 24 April 2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: JUST WHY
Old 04 May 2007, 08:39 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Default ANG ON

Originally Posted by alanb2000
so everyone in northern ireland driving wrx 2003+ and stis is driving on the wrong fuel?
AND 2001/2002 STIs ARE MARKED UP 98RON, but i use the super shell
Old 03 October 2007, 12:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GAWLEY
I dont think any petrol stations over here do 98ron i think shell Optimax is 98 ron but i have never seen it over here, as far as i know we only have 97ron.

Does it say in the manual that it needs 98ron ?, as im surprised subaru are selling cars over here that need a petrol no one sells (as far i know anyway)
Sorry to dig up an old one here.

But, I use my local shell station fairly frequently (its a refurbished one by the way)
Last night I saw a guy filling the tanks and decided to ask a question which had been bugging me for quite a while.

I said, the pump says Super Unleaded, but the receipt says Optimax.

Which is it.

He says that Optimax replaced Super Unleaded about 6 months or so ago with Shell. They didn't bother changing the pumps as there's not that much diffference betwen the pair.

I don't know if thats true or he was just making it up.

Shaun
Old 03 October 2007, 01:11 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Where abouts is this station mate?

Originally Posted by urban
Sorry to dig up an old one here.

But, I use my local shell station fairly frequently (its a refurbished one by the way)
Last night I saw a guy filling the tanks and decided to ask a question which had been bugging me for quite a while.

I said, the pump says Super Unleaded, but the receipt says Optimax.

Which is it.

He says that Optimax replaced Super Unleaded about 6 months or so ago with Shell. They didn't bother changing the pumps as there's not that much diffference betwen the pair.

I don't know if thats true or he was just making it up.

Shaun
Old 03 October 2007, 01:44 PM
fabiostar
Scooby Regular

Default petrol

are the ecu,s not self learning on the stis up to a point?? well enough to cope with the small drop in the ron

i spent a fair few years importing boosters for the bike racing scene and to be honest the best i ever used on and engines was the silkolene pro plus.and that was in 2 stroke engines that were running mega high squish clearances.far more so that the likes of a car engine .failing that get your self a £150 drum of elf race fuel and use it as a booster and itl last a year or more..

fabio
Old 03 October 2007, 02:28 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Default 97 only

only 97 ron fuel over here, thats shell and bp = 97, it does say 98 ron on the filler cap of all sti's new age, but the ecu will retard the timing itself to suit the 97 ron, dont forget guys that the new age has vvt = variable valve timing, so this allows the ecu to adjust to suit the 97ron.

as for the optimax, they have to say it is optimax, if it says super unleaded than thats wot it is, (Trading standards)

there is how ever a shell station up towards nutts corner that sells super unleaded plus, I have been told that this is 98 ron, but I would find it hard to believe.

great to see DAZ and Gawley back on line, where ya been lads
Old 03 October 2007, 05:44 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

I run my 93 v1 import on texaco high octane 97ron or bp ultimate 97 ron

I also have a knocklink fitted and when running on either of these fuels without additive there is very little movement of the indicators therefore no detonation / pinking I once used maxol super and the lights were all over the place it was like being back in kellys lol

KnockLink
Detonation Display system. Most modern engines will already have a knock sensor fitted as standard. The sensor is normally screwed into the engine block although some manufactures fit the sensor in the inlet manifold. In either case, the sensor must be in such a position that block vibrations are coupled to the sensor.

Assuming the engine is operating correctly, the LED's will show only background noise which will rise in proportion to engine power output. Any abrupt rise in signal level at any time is an indication that detonation is occurring. The immediate remedy is to close the throttle. Severe detonation will damage the engine. Forced induction engines are more susceptible.

Knocking is the self detonation of the fuel in the combustion chamber. The flame burns around ten times faster than normal causing huge pressures. Possible causes for knocking are: change in intake air; intake humidity; load; RPM; boost; spark; etc

* Monitor Engine "Noise"
* Optimise Advance
* Detect Detonation
* Mechanical or Electronic Ignition
* great tuning tool or hard wired into cabin)
KnockLink
Old 03 October 2007, 06:16 PM
Scooby Regular

Optimax doesnt really exist anymore...

It was replaced by V-Power some months ago

We dont get either, so it hardly matters. Only regular SUL here, regardless of what may be written on a receipt.
Old 03 October 2007, 07:09 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Altite lads, i use 97 bp ultimate in my RB5 and its a uk spec car. to be honest i wouldnt use 95 ron on anything other than a normal everyday car or that i even use the odd bottle of octane booster for that little extra oomph and backfires/flames on da country roads

some uk cars will prob be ok on the 95 ron but they defo go better on the superunlead and its prob a lot better for the car as well.........bit worse on the pocket tho
Old 03 October 2007, 09:13 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

oh dear! wish i hadnt looked at this thread!
Old 03 October 2007, 09:21 PM
Scooby Regular

Why ?
Old 04 October 2007, 07:42 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i only use super, i know someone with an 06 sti who just uses 95,,,i d say it ll do no harm but u could get it remapped to 97 if it bothers u.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:49 AM
bekee
Scooby Regular

what should i b using? im just sticking unleaded in it! i know with my dads cars he had 2 get additive 2 protect the engine and 2 stop pinking, but thats cos theyr classics. does this apply 2 our scoobies 2? AM SOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED
Old 04 October 2007, 10:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Optimax doesnt really exist anymore...

It was replaced by V-Power some months ago

We dont get either, so it hardly matters. Only regular SUL here, regardless of what may be written on a receipt.
Fair enough Stevie, thats answered my question.

Shaun
Old 04 October 2007, 10:17 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bekee
what should i b using? im just sticking unleaded in it! i know with my dads cars he had 2 get additive 2 protect the engine and 2 stop pinking, but thats cos theyr classics. does this apply 2 our scoobies 2? AM SOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED
I'd imagine running a sport on normal unleaded would be perfectly OK.
Old 04 October 2007, 08:02 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I'd imagine running a sport on normal unleaded would be perfectly OK.
me too...
so dont be worrying.

For all the turbo cars....best you can get here is BP Ultimate.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:22 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

oh thats ok! thanks!