Notices

Kids dead in Carnlough

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2003, 01:40 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Kids are family of friends and driver was fellow petrolhead. Seems he was showing a Pug the way in his Cossie when disaster reared its ugly head. It makes me sad when it goes wrong. There are millions of times when it could have been me. The driver is a decent bloke who got nailed with bad luck. Now he is looking at death by dangerous driving and maybe 5 years in the slam. So sad!!!
Old 29 August 2003, 05:48 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

With all due respect FB if this wasn't folk you know would you even give it a second thought?

Of course the driver will face charges and quite rightly,so would the rest of us in a similar situation.

Racing at 1AM with kids in a car,if the driver was the older (37?) one mentioned on the news he should have had more sense IMO.

Still a tragic waste and another statistic for the news!
Old 30 August 2003, 02:13 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

totally agree, how many is that this year. must be getting close to a ton now. any wonder mobile cameras and gatsos are popping up at a great rate of knots. time and a place and at 37 he should have had more feckin sense.

cheers

sinky

Old 01 September 2003, 12:58 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I think the driver is 32. It always makes me stop and think when someone gets wasted in a very high speed accident. Of course you guys have never driven above 30 To be totally honest I have had loads of passengers over a ton in the scoob when I had it, and quite a few pillions at completely mental speeds on bikes. I have never really believed that I would get killed or caught doing it, cos the roads and times are always carefully selected to make sure there are no plod or other drivers. I don't really think I have any more 'sense' now regarding speed than I had when I was 17. Just more skill and possibly a slightly better perception of danger. Doesn't stop me speeding though.
Old 01 September 2003, 06:23 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Of course we've all done a bit of speeding in the past but I've honestly done it while driving alone with very very few exceptions so that if the worst happens hopefully I'll be the only one scooped off the road.
Old 01 September 2003, 08:33 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

FB I'm speechless now! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

see the truth

Old 01 September 2003, 10:25 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Im not speechless.
FB you need to wise up. For most of us, it happens as we get older, but it seems you are still of the mentality that it is safe to drive flat out everywhere.
As for your decent bloke, that he may be to you, but it appears, according to that news report, that nite he had a few drinks, and decided to take the kids ( not even his own ??? ) out for a run in the car. You may see him as a decent bloke, but im sure quite a few people would see him quite differently.

I learned what can happen through driving too fast for the conditions/enviroment. I was lucky, I had a couple of bad crashes, but was un-injured, and it taught me what can happen if it goes wrong.
I do drive fast occasionally, I admit, but those times are few now, on public roads.
Speeding alone doesnt kill, and no amount of speed cameras on our roads would have prevented this accident, or probably any of the other fatal accidents that have happened this year.
Its people like the 'decent bloke' that kill, the drink drivers, and people who drive too fast for their surroundings. That can happen at 30mph, or 70mph. You dont need to be above the legal speed limit to have a serious crash.

Its driver education thats needed to prevent this type of thing, and to change peoples attitudes. the government have no interest in saving lives though, as education would cost money. Speed cameras do only one thing, make money.

I wonder did the driver tell the parents of the children what he had done???

Old 03 September 2003, 03:01 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Red face

Knowing that he was drinking gives it a very very different perspective. If he gets out in 5 years it is too soon.