Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Gauges on Android device

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2013, 01:36 PM
Quaki
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges on Android device (4xEGT Video)

Hi I would like to show you my own gauges concept, electronics and programing is made by Me.
A little technological gibberish about it.
- Tablet Goclever R76.2 screen resolution of 1024x552 Android 4.1 Jellybean (previously tested also on Goclever A93 with android 4.0 with the exception that I had to slightly modify Android and for that you need a root, on R76.2 soft started immediately without modification)
- Connection to the tablet via USB (there is also version that can connect via Bluetooth but my tablets does not have BT )
- Module data collection from sensors based on Atmega8 microcontroller (so far all the sensors are not hooked up to the pcb, to check the transmitted data and the stability of the entire system.without sensors the data shown in the screenshots have nothing to do with reality )
- Silver box shown in the picture is the target container for the “data collector pcb” ( each pcb is designed for both data transfer via USB and BT , depending on the communication module plugged )
- The picture shows the USB communication module based on FTDI chip
Now a little about the program
There are eight gauges to obtain any measured value on the screenshots you can see four EGT gauges on the use of a separate transmitter we will be able to measure 1 to 12 EGT (or more) probes the highest temperature and the channel number on the bottom of the window
At the bottom of each gauge is a digital indicator window showing the current value of the gauge.
By clicking on the gauge surface you go to a screen where we recorded the highest value reached by the individual gauge since the last resete of value (exiting from the program does not delete the value ) each value could be reset from this window. Clicking on the the digital window , you go to the window where you can enter the alarm value for each measured value ( these values also are saved, and shuting down the program does not erase them )
As the program communicates with the module data collection in both ways I want to expand the capabilities of device to control other modules conected via rs485. In my case it will be progressive nitrous oxide controller and a fairly complicated boost controller .
If you have any questions, or suggestions would love to hear and try to answer if I will be able to.
And some pictures

Last edited by Quaki; 21 April 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Change in the title
Old 28 November 2013, 02:04 PM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

Looks good, but why not use the obd2 plug to obtain some of the data ?
Old 28 November 2013, 02:42 PM
dave_t
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, you are obviously a clever fella!
Most of us simpletons would opt for Android app 'Torque Pro', OPD2 Bluetooth adapter @ maybe £10 for both on an Android phone or tablet.
Old 21 April 2014, 12:03 PM
Quaki
Scooby Newbie

Hi
Yes you can read data from OBD2 but only from factory sensors if you want to add more sensors to the car (like for example 4 thermocouple's to inform you what is going on in each cylinder it is not possible to read them by the OBD2 unles you make serious ECU software modyfication or change the ECU on something aftermarket = expensive )
Also my car is not equiped in OBD2 soo it wont work and the changing of ECU will cost me more then the car its self
I'm just an ordinary fella with some strange hobby thats all, but thanks
And here you can watch short video with my gauges (in this case 4xEGT)

http://http://youtu.be/L8MQ4O4V12o

Best regards