Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Help with MOT

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2013, 08:11 PM
husey26
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with MOT

Hi there. I'm a new member to scooby.net. I was reading a couple of posts before I joined and couldn't believe the amount of support and help there is on here. I have a 97 wrx sti jap import. Recently it failed mot due to the clocks not being dual marked in mph and kmp. I bought a set of Lockwood dials and was told they were easy to fit. I followed Lockwood's instructions to a tee in replacing the dials. Suffice to say I'm now on my 3rd set of clocks as either the rev counter, fuel gauge and speedometer will now not work on various sets of clocks I put into her. At present I have the speedo half working as it jumps from zero mph to 20 mph as soon as I send it on a bit. Under power the speedo seems to read fine. The rev counter on the other hand has a mind of its own. Sitting at 70 on a motorway, used my sat nav to get an accurate reading, the rev counter was sitting between 1k and 2k revs. I know this is not right. I have loads of parts and a couple of clock sets here but I don't wanna start chopping and changing any dials around. Incidentally the only gauges that seem to work are the fuel and temp ones at present. Does anyone have any advice or can they point me in the right direction in getting my clocks re calibrated or is it gonna be another set of clocks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks
Husey
Old 28 August 2013, 08:20 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by husey26
Hi there. I'm a new member to scooby.net. I was reading a couple of posts before I joined and couldn't believe the amount of support and help there is on here. I have a 97 wrx sti jap import. Recently it failed mot due to the clocks not being dual marked in mph and kmp. I bought a set of Lockwood dials and was told they were easy to fit. I followed Lockwood's instructions to a tee in replacing the dials. Suffice to say I'm now on my 3rd set of clocks as either the rev counter, fuel gauge and speedometer will now not work on various sets of clocks I put into her. At present I have the speedo half working as it jumps from zero mph to 20 mph as soon as I send it on a bit. Under power the speedo seems to read fine. The rev counter on the other hand has a mind of its own. Sitting at 70 on a motorway, used my sat nav to get an accurate reading, the rev counter was sitting between 1k and 2k revs. I know this is not right. I have loads of parts and a couple of clock sets here but I don't wanna start chopping and changing any dials around. Incidentally the only gauges that seem to work are the fuel and temp ones at present. Does anyone have any advice or can they point me in the right direction in getting my clocks re calibrated or is it gonna be another set of clocks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks
Husey
Fella post the same question in Scoobynet General section more people will see your post and I'm sure will be able to give you some help and advice

Oh and welcome
Old 28 August 2013, 08:22 PM
husey26
Scooby Newbie

Will do mate. Have to figure out how to do that. Oh and thanks.
Old 29 August 2013, 08:30 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I have the same car and fell for the same trap as you.

My advice is do what I did and don't fit Cockwood faces in the first place.

The speedo is a bit of a pain but it can be recalibrated by yourself by just adjusting the dial. The rev counter is another question entirely as you've unwound the spring that makes it work so if yours isn't reading right get another one and DON'T mess with it.

The V3 STi rev counter is different to (all?) the others as the red line isn't till nearly 8000 revs.

Get a small mph sticker of ebay and stick it on your speedo face. Job done.

I became quite an expert at taking the console apart and putting it all back together............Sadly.
Old 31 August 2013, 12:03 AM
husey26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
I have the same car and fell for the same trap as you.

My advice is do what I did and don't fit Cockwood faces in the first place.

The speedo is a bit of a pain but it can be recalibrated by yourself by just adjusting the dial. The rev counter is another question entirely as you've unwound the spring that makes it work so if yours isn't reading right get another one and DON'T mess with it.

The V3 STi rev counter is different to (all?) the others as the red line isn't till nearly 8000 revs.

Get a small mph sticker of ebay and stick it on your speedo face. Job done.

I became quite an expert at taking the console apart and putting it all back together............Sadly.
I'm the same mate. I can take the dash apart and remove the clocks with my eyes closed. I'm on my third set of clocks so I'm not gonna bother tryin again. There is a huge Subaru breaker here in Northern Ireland so I guess a visit is in order tomorrow to see what dials he has for sale ffs. I liked the white dials as my car is white and I thought they looked magic when fitted. Just a pity I ballsed up the rev counter. Thanks for your help anyway.

Stephen.