Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Defi gauges fitting...

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2012, 11:17 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defi gauges fitting...

I have a set of Defi gauges... Oil pressure, temp and boost...!

I need a place that I can get the sensors from, maybe better off using a sandwich plate..? What would you guys suggest? Thanks
Old 31 December 2012, 12:46 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best off using the block for the sensors as they give you a more accurate reading IMO, Oil temp above Cyl No.3 removable plug(8mm Hex), Oil pressure below the altenator, Depending on if you want to retain the OEM pressure whitch you might need a relocation kit(£25)
Old 31 December 2012, 12:55 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also have to drop the oil if you use a sandwich plate.
Old 02 January 2013, 10:29 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice I was going to coincide the fitting with an oil change anyway

Any decent places to get the adapters and sensors? Cheers
Old 03 January 2013, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ebay

Unless you want to retain the stock oil pressure warning light, (in which case, explain why??? ), then the defi sender screws neatly into it's place. It's one of the only ones that do.

Then you need a DECENT quality long 8mm Allen key to get the bung out of the tappings on top of cylinder No3 for the oil TEMPERATURE gauge.

This sender needs an adpator, mine came from Scoobymania, now area 52 iirc, but other Scoob places sell them, they are usually turned brass or alloy and cost about £8-£10. They can also be had off ebay, but you need to know the thread size external and the thread size internal. A decent gauge dealer will know those.

IIRC it's M18 o/d and 1/8 NPT i/d......but do check.
Old 06 January 2013, 06:09 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
ebay

Unless you want to retain the stock oil pressure warning light, (in which case, explain why??? ), then the defi sender screws neatly into it's place. It's one of the only ones that do.

Then you need a DECENT quality long 8mm Allen key to get the bung out of the tappings on top of cylinder No3 for the oil TEMPERATURE gauge.

This sender needs an adpator, mine came from Scoobymania, now area 52 iirc, but other Scoob places sell them, they are usually turned brass or alloy and cost about £8-£10. They can also be had off ebay, but you need to know the thread size external and the thread size internal. A decent gauge dealer will know those.

Thanks buddy... I've ordered oil temp and pressure sensors from the Bay
Old 15 January 2013, 06:13 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ebay

Is there no point retaining the oe pressure sensor ? Im going to fit my greddys in the next week or so and looking for abit of help.

The boost is already fitted just my oil temp and pressure to do .. The oil temp seems straight forward, just oil pressure behind alternator I'm wondering about..

Finally should I be using some sort of sealant on the threads ? Like some ptfe tape or what would u recommend ..

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2013, 06:20 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mervil
Cheers for the advice I was going to coincide the fitting with an oil change anyway

Any decent places to get the adapters and sensors? Cheers
LMA Motorsport
Old 15 January 2013, 09:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Is there no point retaining the oe pressure sensor ? Im going to fit my greddys in the next week or so and looking for abit of help.

The boost is already fitted just my oil temp and pressure to do .. The oil temp seems straight forward, just oil pressure behind alternator I'm wondering about..

Finally should I be using some sort of sealant on the threads ? Like some ptfe tape or what would u recommend ..

Thanks
It all depends what you want. SOME senders won't physically fit in the space behind the alternator, so need the extension piper, which in turn, allows the easy fitting of the switch anyway, so why not?
But if your sender fits, the switch is redundant. It doesn't show until 1 bar by which time your engine is fekked........

When i fitted my Defi water temperature gauge, I originally left the old sender out, but just couldn't get used to the old gauge constantly sat at zero, so fitted the old sender in an adaptor in the top hose. Now I find myself fascinated by how IN-accurate the stock w/t gauge is....
It doesn't even START reading until the Defi has got to 55 degrees.

Threads? You can use PTFE on the threads of the oil temperature adaptor where it screws into the block, but the senders are a taper thread so shouldn't need it.
Don't go mad either, or you won't get decent readings, the gauge needs to be electrically in contact with the block.
And whatever you do, don't over tighten the senders. just enough to nip it up. If it weeps oil, you can always tighten a jot more, but don't overdo it to start with.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:54 AM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alcazar is right. I definitely have to get an external water temp gauge. You will see how long it takes for the oil to reach 80/90 degrees.

Definitely use the fitting kit for both pressure/temp. See my thread in the projects section.

Use PTFE tape for all BUT the OEM sensor as it is tapered, and needs contact with the adaptor for earth.

Hope this helps.

J
Old 16 January 2013, 01:26 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

It all depends what you want. SOME senders won't physically fit in the space behind the alternator, so need the extension piper, which in turn, allows the easy fitting of the switch anyway, so why not?
But if your sender fits, the switch is redundant. It doesn't show until 1 bar by which time your engine is fekked........

When i fitted my Defi water temperature gauge, I originally left the old sender out, but just couldn't get used to the old gauge constantly sat at zero, so fitted the old sender in an adaptor in the top hose. Now I find myself fascinated by how IN-accurate the stock w/t gauge is....
It doesn't even START reading until the Defi has got to 55 degrees.

Threads? You can use PTFE on the threads of the oil temperature adaptor where it screws into the block, but the senders are a taper thread so shouldn't need it.
Don't go mad either, or you won't get decent readings, the gauge needs to be electrically in contact with the block.
And whatever you do, don't over tighten the senders. just enough to nip it up. If it weeps oil, you can always tighten a jot more, but don't overdo it to start with.

The sender for the greddy is very simular to the defis And I would imagine its a direct fit to the block rather than a extension pipe so I guess I will just remove the oem sensor ( will this cause anything on my dash to light up and stay on ?)

So Basicly no ptfe tape as it must be in contact with block, I guess I will as u also say just nip it up. And hope It dosent weep.
Old 16 January 2013, 05:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No lights will stay on.

You can use a bit of PTFE if it makes you happy, but don't go overboard.