help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2012, 08:09 PM
robw1468
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed

hi all ,
help needed the Water gauge sender in my upper hose point doesnt seem to work , I have a new one but its a smaller size 10mm , where as the nut for the older one is 19mm do i have to buy a complete upper hose kit to change the sender size as the one thats in now has no adapters in but you can put any on either if you know what i mean , and also does anyone know what the top hose size is if i have to get another full kit
thanks in advance
rob
Old 03 May 2012, 10:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Phew......some punctuation wouldn't go amiss, fella. Difficult to read as is.

So.......if I understand you:

You have a water temperature gauge sender fitted into the centre of the top hose?
(Does this mean it's aftermarket?)

And the gauge doesn't work?
(Did it ever work?)

Have you tried earthing the metal part the sender screws into to the car earth point, bodywork, metal engine parts, battery -ve?
Try this first by touching a length or wire with both ends stripped, one end to battery negative (-ve), and the other to the METAL outer part of the sender, NOT to the bit the wire comes out of.

You have a new sender? Is it from the original gauge? It's not usually possible to fit a sender from any old gauge to another, they either don't work at all, or give strange readings They need to be matched.

If it does turn out you need a new top hose adpator, you'll need to tell us what car, what model and what year. I only know that a classic Impreza is 38mm. Inside diameter, so the adpator would be sold as that.

But let's work with what we have for a start, eh?
Old 03 May 2012, 10:55 PM
robw1468
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Phew......some punctuation wouldn't go amiss, fella. Difficult to read as is.

So.......if I understand you:

You have a water temperature gauge sender fitted into the centre of the top hose?
(Does this mean it's aftermarket?)

And the gauge doesn't work?
(Did it ever work?)

Have you tried earthing the metal part the sender screws into to the car earth point, bodywork, metal engine parts, battery -ve?
Try this first by touching a length or wire with both ends stripped, one end to battery negative (-ve), and the other to the METAL outer part of the sender, NOT to the bit the wire comes out of.

You have a new sender? Is it from the original gauge? It's not usually possible to fit a sender from any old gauge to another, they either don't work at all, or give strange readings They need to be matched.

If it does turn out you need a new top hose adpator, you'll need to tell us what car, what model and what year. I only know that a classic Impreza is 38mm. Inside diameter, so the adpator would be sold as that.

But let's work with what we have for a start, eh?
Thanks mate , i have bought another hose sender unit yes (38mm) classic impreza , the gauge is new but the sender came as an aftermarket bit off here , so im guessing the sender wont work with my gauge , so have bought the new piece to match hopefully will be fine now
Old 04 May 2012, 11:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, just make sure that there is an earth path from the adaptor, or sender body, to the car's earthing system. Some adpators come with a screw you can use, mine didn't, so I had to file up a ring terminal and use that.