Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

help rev gauge wiring

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2010, 08:13 PM
g555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help rev gauge wiring

hope someone can help with my tachometer (rev) boost gauge wiring. Well just the tachometer bit. It says electronic ignition connect the green wire to tachometer pulse output or neg- to the coil but where is the pulse wire. Has anyone fitted a rev counter gauge to there car that could tell me what wire to use? my car is an 03 plate wrx it has single coilpacks on the sparkplugs
Old 13 October 2010, 08:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It HAS a rev counter, no?

The pulse wire will be to that. You ought to be able to link into it.

If you remove the instruments, you can see which wire is connected to it by tracing the circuit on the rear.

Instruments is two screws in the bezel, then two screws below the clocks, one above.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:30 PM
g555
Scooby Newbie

thanks for your help. looked at a diagram there and it says the rev counter comes off a cpu which will be a board. might not be as easy as the wire to the rev counter. i use my car to get to work so it will be the weekend i strip it and find out. has any one seen the back of the instruments on a 03 plate ?
Old 14 October 2010, 06:19 PM
g555
Scooby Newbie

found this if anyone is thinking of getting a Tachometer (Shift light) gauge only place i could find anything about this. ( wrxtuners.com ) hope this helps someone.

Most people will say that this gauge is useless. When ever I go to the track it is nice to concentrate on driving the car down the track without having to look at the center gauge. When you learn your power curve (you know when you stop producing power) so it is time to shift up. You can set your shift light at that point of your RPM’s, so the shift light tells when to shift. So you do not redline from excitement and you are racing to your car’s to the best possible limit for great run times.

Mount the gauge after you remove your stock gauge cluster.
This will make running the wires for power, Illumination and ground for the tachometer and all other gauges easier.

Wiring

This is how I connected my wires and have connected them for years there are other ways but this has worked the best for me.

First DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE CONNECTOR TO YOUR BATTERY!

Now you will want to follow the color code provided by the instructions of your manuals of your gauges fro m the back of the gauges to the following on your Subaru. I ran three spliced wires from the back of the clock pod. If you look where the connector to the back of the clock runs you will see they are actually labeled. You may cut the tape and tie wraps to gently pull more slack in the wire to help your splice job.

Accessory 12v switched is the Yellow wire with Blue stripe

Ground is the solid Black wire

Illumination is the White wire with Red stripe

Run your spliced wires to the central point of where the gauges will be mounted. Splice them together accordingly with the wiring diagram per the gauge brand. This can be done with a connection block or wire nuts.

The tachometer requires a sender to be spliced take the corresponding wire for the tachometer and splice it to the wire attached to the green clip that was attached to the stock gauge cluster that is all the way to the right above the speedo side and splice it to the solid blue wire which is the sixth wire to the left.

When you are finished splice correctly put everything back together, re-attach your negative connector on your battery and enjoy your gauges.

Last edited by g555; 15 October 2010 at 08:43 PM.