Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Air Bag Warning light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 06:47 PM
banjogt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Warning light Problem

Hi Guys, Recently my air bag light will come on when i turn the wheel 2 turns to the right! If i stop the car and restart the light will be off, but 2 turns to the right and there it is again!! Is it possible the fault will be in the steering wheel Itself, Also is there any way ff canceling the air bag light so it will not come on no matter what? Its a V4 STI
Old 22 August 2010, 10:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Most likely problem is damaged connector between clock-spring and airbag, or frayed wire in roughly the same area. I'd be very nervous about trying to repair something like this though, as there's obviously the potential for the airbag to go off by itself if there's even just a tiny short between the wrong wires. It wouldn't hurt to check that the clock spring connector is fully engaged and the locking tab pushed all the way on, and otherwise just fit a new clock-spring from a breakers (usually around £10). If you go ahead with that, be very careful to disconnect battery earth AND battery positive, and leave a good half hour afterward before going near any of the airbag wiring.

Not sure about disabling the warning light, as I've never heard of this being done except when people switch to aftermarket wheels (with no airbag).