Harness and Harness Bar installation in a Hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2010, 09:55 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness and Harness Bar installation in a Hawkeye

Hi everyone

I have a MY06 Hawkeye WRX which is an 'SL' version.

It has these type of leather seats :

Now, I do trackdays and am about to go around Europe next month. I have some TRS 3" harnesses which I wish to use. I've used them before by utilising the existing seatbelt points in the rear. However - I am well aware of the risks of the angles involved and the pressure in a crash causing the seat to potentially crush.

So - I want to get them in properly. I personally feel more planted in the car with them on and feel the car responding to the surface more too.

Therefore, I believe a harness bar is required? The belts I have are long enough to bolt in where they were before put over the harness bar and through the seat hole. The harness bar would then change the angle and would take a good amount of the stress off the back of the seat in a worst case scenario.

My questions are -

1/ is the above correct?
2/ can the harness bars be removed after use without wrecking anything (ie top seatbelt mounting points?
3/ are the seats suitable for harness use? I would suspect so due to the fact there is a slot made for them??

There will be no rear seats during the trip therefore no risk to passengers. Would only be used for trackdays and trips such as these

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Last edited by LeeP; 04 April 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06 April 2010, 04:50 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 10 April 2010, 07:06 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

no expert but id say the harness bar would be ideal for what you want.they simply attach to the upper and lower o/e belt points and can be removed at any time.the seats have the cut out which i reckon wont pose a problem at all,many have done it.
however you say you are removing the rear seat,so could you not attach the harness to the o/e belt fixing there?i believe thats the popular route.
oh and i dont recommend the bar with rear passengers
Old 10 April 2010, 07:16 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milliemoo
no expert but id say the harness bar would be ideal for what you want.they simply attach to the upper and lower o/e belt points and can be removed at any time.the seats have the cut out which i reckon wont pose a problem at all,many have done it.
however you say you are removing the rear seat,so could you not attach the harness to the o/e belt fixing there?i believe thats the popular route.
oh and i dont recommend the bar with rear passengers
I was under the impression that the angle of the belts from the back of the seat down to the rear seatbelt points was a big no-no and could cause considerable damage in case of a crash?

Don't worry, I would only have it in for trackday use too
Old 10 April 2010, 08:40 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

ive seen most people fix their belt here.fixing it to the floor is a big no no.the bar would sit the harness at a level angle tho.
Old 10 April 2010, 08:52 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how it all works

Completely reversible, so no lasting changes to the existing seatbelt mountings required.

I shortened the harnesses to mount on the harness bar, and even with it fitted the rear seats remain completely useable. Just make sure that rear seat passengers wear their belts

Seats you have are fine for harnesses.

Also worth checking out under the parcel shelf, on mine there is 2 threaded points welded in that look like harness mounting points. From there the angles would be perfect if you don't intend to use the rear seats. Ideally you want the belt horizontal from the mounting point to the seat
Old 11 April 2010, 08:08 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To put sufficient load into the seat to break it, you will break the human first !

I speak from experience....

dunx