Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Momo Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2009, 01:56 PM
deep_st24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momo Steering Wheel

Had a bit of a search but cant find exactly what Im looking for.

Ive got a UK Impreza (2000) so it already has a momo wheel with an airbag.

The problem is the leather has worn and is starting to look tatty.

If I remove the wheel and airbag, will a momo aftermarket wheel fit straight on? or will I still need a boss kit, as I have a brand new momo wheel in the garage.

Now Ive checked with insurance and they said that it isnt a problem, I understand that I need to leave the battery off for 1/2 hour before removing the airbag to ensure it doesnt go off by mistake and that a 3 amp resistor should see the airbag light stays off.

From what I have read I undo the 2 screws behind the steering wheel and remove the airbag (carefully) then undo the centre nut most of the way off before knocking the wheel free and removing, does that sound about right?

Kind Regards

Ash
Old 15 June 2009, 03:11 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

As to fitting, you will need a boss kit and some way of masking the column to it, since the present shroud is made to fit an airbag wheel.

As to removal, yes, as you say, but you DO need something to put across the airbag wires or your airbag light won't go out.

IIRC, it's a resistor, but I can't remember what size. Pretty high wattage IIRC.
Old 16 June 2009, 09:41 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

You're pretty much there, but its a 3 Ohm Resistor not 3 amp. Maplins do 'em.

Only a Boss kit required, which demon tweeks can supply. It should have the horn wiring with it, so check with them if it doesn't.

Last thing, store the airbag with the momo badge facing upwards, so if any issues, it won't behave like a projectile and catapult itself through your garage roof or something like that.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:54 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Ash, you only need to have the battery disconnected for a short period, 5 minutes will be plenty. You need a Torx socket drive to slacken the 2 screws either side in the cowl. These are captive and don't come right out. This will then allow the airbag module to be disconnected and removed.

More tricky is getting the wheel off the spline as it may be tight. Slacken the nut but don't remove it completely, just by a couple of threads. Get someone to chap it with a soft mallet while you pull the wheel. It only needs to slacken from the spline.

Use of a set of pullers is difficult due to the shape of the metal framework, there's little bits to grip.

Personally I wouldn't use a non-airbag wheel as there is obvious insurance implications as well as your personal safety in the unexpected hour of need.

I have a 2002 Bugeye STi Momo wheel and airbag complete, perfect as new condition with the red stitching if you're interested.