Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Gauge Centre Console Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2002, 01:18 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks very nice. Your PhotoShop or whatever is excellent. But I use the centre vents quite a lot right now to warm me mits, and to heat up the car in general quickly. I suspect others do, too.

On the other hand, I've got nothing but a pair of sun specs in the centre bin, which is where some extra gauges will be going when funds permit.

Can't really see the point in what you're suggesting. Loads more fitting hassle for zero advantage.

Just my point of view.

Richard.
Old 06 January 2002, 12:42 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for your opinions, all are greatfully received

Just fancied something a little different and I tend to use the top bin slightly more than the vents. Like I said, I only really use the air flow for the windscreen.

Thought it might make the dials a little less conspicuous, but it probably wouldn't really.....

Any more opinions?
Old 09 January 2002, 04:52 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Talking

i think it looks brillaint, have to admit the centre bin mounted option makes the dash look humpy, ur solution looks a lot more factory, its a mod that has been done on many cars but I assume will take a little more work than the bin option...

Cheers Fergal
Old 09 January 2002, 05:55 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

that looks well cool, much better than my oddments tray pod.
Old 09 January 2002, 06:32 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks chaps

If I can get hold of a replacement air-vent surround on the cheap, I may give it a go (when I get round to buying some gauges).

Haven't checked the space available between (what would be) the face plate and the blow pipes behind but I would have thought they would fit.

Personally I prefer this look to the hump as well Will have to do some more investigation and put my DIY skills to some use
Old 13 January 2002, 09:44 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

it looks alot better than my centre mount pod

Old 13 January 2002, 10:14 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't knock yours mate, they look top

I just fancy something a little different from the norm. I am currently trying to source a replacement air vent surround so I can start making a fitment for the gauges. May look absolutely pants when I get it finished, will have to wait and see

I will post pictures if/when I eventually get round to making it up and actually buying the gauges. I will be going for the same ones as Kevin has so we should be able to compare
Old 14 January 2002, 12:47 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

That looks really neat - I wish I'd thought of that myself!! There might just be enough space (from memory) behind the grills for the gauges to fit. If you remove the tray and pull the vents out forwards (hard pull required!!) you'll see the vent pipe that they connect to and which could be blocked off. A side benefit of this would be that the side vents will blow much harder so demisting the side windows a lot better, in fact, I sometimes put my hand over the centre vents to make them do this. Put it into production, mate
Old 15 January 2002, 07:49 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

Might work for us poor people too who have no little tray to remove to get the triple gauges in.

Have to have a closer look at my MY97,maybe I can get my SPA gauges after all!

steve
Old 16 January 2002, 06:31 PM
ChrisB

Very interesting! My Geodesy lives in my top box so I'm reluctant to lose it.

Let us know how you get on Hanslow.
Old 16 January 2002, 08:45 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Will do I think I may well be buying a spare vent console from Midland Impreza shortly. They have quoted me the best price so far at £30+vat+delivery. I want to work on a spare so as not to knacker my existing one

Once I get hold of that, should just be a case of making an easy to attach face plate and then mount the gauges. With a bit of camera trickery, once the face plate is made up, I should be able to give you guys an image of how it really looks before it's all fitted

Best get some gauges ordered then
Old 20 January 2002, 06:07 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hmmm, looks like this project will be on hold for a little while now. Need to find out if I will still have a car to put it in.....

Details can be found here if you are interested : Oops
Old 21 January 2002, 04:45 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

Hanslow > firstly, good luck with getting it fixed up. Secondly, there should be no problems with mounting the gauges in the vents. So long as you get 52mm gauges there shouldn't be a problem. I'm doing the same thing in my car (non-scoob) and it has been done, as said by fivepint, on many cars. Go for it. Mail me if you like
Old 21 January 2002, 03:17 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mook, You have mail
Old 21 January 2002, 03:37 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hanslow

A similar thing gets done with pug 205's where the stereo is in a real crap position quite a few people have moved theres up to the centre vents, had to block off the air flow around for a stereo but i'd imagine this to not be a problem for what you want to do.

Looks very good by the way

Si
Old 21 January 2002, 04:34 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

I used the air vent (by the window, not the centre) to mount my Boost Gauge. The air vent still works as well

Paul
Old 01 May 2002, 09:05 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chaps, I need your opinions and advice.....

I was wondering if it would be possible, instead of getting one of the three gauge pods that replaces the centre bin (on my MY00), to use the place where the centre air vents are. Would this cause a problem with regards to the feeder pipes behind them? Would it be safe to do this?

I would quite like to keep my centre bin thing, and hardly ever use the dash vents, apart from when I want extra air to demist the side windows, so as far as I am concerned they would be somewhat expendable.

I'm assuming with a bit of hacking and cutting, all I would need to do is remove the vents and create a blanking plate and mount the gauges in that, something akin to the picture below. Exuse my artistic inabilities with paint packages

Thoughts? Criticisms (not on the artwork I know it's pants )?
Any idea of costs or how much replacement vents (and their housing) are in case it all goes poo?

Cheers

[Edited by Hanslow - 1/5/2002 9:06:11 PM]