Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

More annoying rattles

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 02:41 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have had a few rattles in my MY00 for a while now and at lunchtime I finally found where they are comming from. Anybody any idea how to fix them?

The first is coming from the rear passenger door trim, if I unpop the first clip at the bottom near the hinge it seems to stop it and if I then pop it back on it seems to stop it for a little while but it soon comes back.

The passenger seat makes a slight knocking noise unless it is fully back on its runners. Found out that if it is in its normal position the knocking noise is coming from the seat moving about on the runners. Drivers seat doesn't do it.

Driver and front passenger door trims seam to make a rattle noise which will stop if you push the trim against the door in the top back corner.

Anybody any idea how to stop these as they are driving me mad!
Old 18 December 2001, 03:13 PM
Brookie
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have the same nearside rear door rattle though I've no idea how
to fix it.

Brookie
Old 18 December 2001, 03:22 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

rear door rattles are usually from the little plastic clips themselves rattling as they are too loose. Various options mentioned previously were:-

1- take off door card and put a dab of silicon sealant on to the side of each clip, sticking it to the door card.

2- take off the door card and put a layer of foam between the door and the door card, spacing out the door card from the door and putting more 'tension' on the clips.

3 - use a sound deadening sheet as in option 2 - I tried this with a small bit of dynamat i had left - cut about 6 strips about 25 x 50mm and stuck them on beside the clips. This stopped the rattling from that door.

Beware that the downside of doing this is that you will just find a new rattle somewhere else - I spend long enjoyable commutes moving my hand from one part of the dash to another trying to stop rattles from inside the dash.

Gareth

Old 18 December 2001, 04:01 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

My drivers side seat belt buckle has got an annoying squeek.
Old 18 December 2001, 08:27 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spot on Gareth with using commutes to find rattles
The dash of of MY99 gets touched up every morning and evening

Pete
Old 19 December 2001, 08:40 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

every time I replace the stereo, or take out a glovebox or other part of the dash, from any car I have owned, the thing has rattled worse each time. If I ever design a car it would have M10 bolts holding everything together, not plastic clips which break, and small screws which tap into other plastic bits! Crumple zones my a**e.

To stop everything in my last car, took a month of weekends, taking bits out, replacing screws, jamming things with foam, using silicon sealant, the works. Its not worth the bother on an impreza. If i wanted build quality I would have bought a merc or a lexus. We just have to accept the limitations of our cars and work with that. (paint quality, wafer thin metal with no sound proofing on the doors, etc).

Gareth