Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Aaarghh - Back seats ruined

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2006, 09:29 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Aaarghh - Back seats ruined

I have two kids - a 3 year old and a one year old. We normally use my wife's people carrier car when we go out anywhere, but we used the P1 a while back with 2 kids seats in the back. The 1 year old was given his bottle of milk in the back as we were driving along and then we forgot about it after arriving at the destination. In fact, we forgot about it until I next went to get in the car after we came home about 3 weeks later when there was this terrible smell. He'd basically dropped the bottle down the side of his seat and the side panel, the top had come off and what I can only describe as dried yoghurt was sitting on the seat and had soaked into it. The top layer - the yoghurt- scraped off but it has left a big stain on the seat.

Any bright ideas from valet type peeps out there or do I try to buy a new back seat?
Old 11 September 2006, 07:31 PM
poormansporsche
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have P1 seats in my US impreza. I found that regular STI version 5/6 seats match perfectly. I picked up a rear for about 300 dollars, whats is that like 140 pounds?

Otherwise take the seat out and just run warm water on it for a while. Scrub it down with Woolite and let it dry out in the sun.

cheers

garrett
Old 12 September 2006, 12:51 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that pmp, useful info.

Better cancel the children for sale ad as well now...
Old 13 September 2006, 02:47 AM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

if you own a shop-vac (wet/dry vacuum) use it to pull the water out of the foam, hopefully along with the odor. There are also deodorant cleaners for pet urine odors. You might want to spray some on, let it soak, then flush with a hose while at the same time using the vacuum to pull the water/cleaner from the foam. It is a poor mans upholstery cleaner. Of course there are likely shops that will clean upholstery, bring them you back seat.
Old 13 September 2006, 10:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Take it out, take it to a good valeter, and get it back a day later, perfect. Pay around £10. Worth every penny.

DO ensure that ALL traces of milk are removed from carpets, seat back etc, as it stinks like cheese if you don't.

DON'T carry milk in ANY car again without it being in a screw top bottle, or inside a coolbox in the boot.

Alcazar
Old 13 September 2006, 10:45 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Milk is the WORST thing for a car interior!! Try a good valeter, but budget for a new seat base
Old 18 September 2006, 11:48 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top men all of you.

I Like the idea of not carrying milk, but I quite like my 1 year old boy too, so I'll just have to duct tape the bottle to his head instead. That should sort it.

Off to my local valet with my back seat on Saturday.
Old 23 September 2006, 09:50 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

this happened to my poor gran abt 10 years ago, she had a renault 5 and the milk bottle fell from the seat on the the floor and went every were, shes "mopped it up" and for ever its stank,

;-(

Kids r cool tho, (if u can give em back)
Old 23 October 2006, 01:12 PM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
Milk is the WORST thing for a car interior!! Try a good valeter, but budget for a new seat base
No it isn't - got creosote on mine and once thats into the foam you're stuffed Luckily its a small area about the size of a saucer in the middle of the bench where it joins the back section but I've soaked it , jet washed it and used all sorts of cleaners on it but the fabrics still stained - luckily I don't often carry passengers
Old 25 October 2006, 10:41 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Passengers are highly overated, they do nothing for your power to weight ratio and all think they'd do a better job if they were behind the wheel..
Old 31 October 2006, 10:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i agree, we charge £5 per seat with the rear seat being in 2 parts (base and backrest)

but we NEVER give guarantees regards smells etc etc

we do quite a bit of work for people who have went shopping and the milk tops have not been fitted properly, the supermarket usually pays.

we clean them with steam and a extraction machine, we also pump shampoo through the seat with deodorisers built in to combat smells

9/10 its fine afterwards, but we can not guarantee all smells removed
Old 31 October 2006, 10:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baser999
No it isn't - got creosote on mine and once thats into the foam you're stuffed Luckily its a small area about the size of a saucer in the middle of the bench where it joins the back section but I've soaked it , jet washed it and used all sorts of cleaners on it but the fabrics still stained - luckily I don't often carry passengers
we did one once where a loads of tins of emulsion paint had spilled over in the boot, which found its way into the rear footwells, and then into the front footwells under braking, tbh the only thing not coverd by the time we got the car was the head cloth, it was all over the steering wheel, the whole thing.

the poor wetvac was spewing out red paint all over the tarmac, complete nightmare tbh

always turn away "paint" jobs now, not worth the hassle LOL