Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Boost gauge flutter

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2001, 09:45 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just replaced my existing boost gauge with a Racetech one (because the old one wasn't too accurate). However, once I get above about 0.5 bar boost, the needle on the Racetech gauge starts fluttering about like crazy. Currently, I've got the take-off point for the piping coming off a T-piece from piping near to the Turbo, and this doesn't give any negative readings on the gauge. Would a different take-off point get rid of this fluttering? Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it ( - apart from chucking the gauge in the bin!)?

Pete
Old 22 October 2001, 12:53 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What model year have you got? From '97 on there is a spare nipple on the right (when viewed from the front of the car) of the inlet mainfold that has a rubber blanking plug on it, this is a good place to pick up the boost pressure.

If the gauge is still fluttering when connected to the manifold you could try using a restrictor (just like the ones used in the line to the boost solenoid) in the hose close the the gauge to damp the pressure.

Andrew...
Old 22 October 2001, 02:10 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

It's a MY00. I was thinking of moving the connection to the inlet manifold as you suggest anyway, so I'll give that a go.

If that doesn't work, where would I get a restrictor from, and what sort do I ask for?

Pete