Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Faulty defi oil gauge???

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2005, 06:02 PM
WSPD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty defi oil gauge???

My oil temperature gauge is playing up, It's moving all over the place and reading hot when the oil is still cold (i.e. from cold start!!!!). I have checked the connections to the gauge and everything seems fine. Is it likely to be the sender in the sump that is faulty?

If so, any advice on the best place to get a new one? Is it a defi only item (i.e. through defi themselves) or is the part universally supplied?
Old 17 March 2005, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

The only way to tell if the gauge or the sender is faulty would be to swop them over with one known to be in working order.

You did check the wiring from sender to gauge for faults, loose connections kinks, abrasions etc, didn't you?

And the connections behind the gauge and the control unit?

Try an e-mail to Defi in Japan. They are very helpful, and speak excellent English.

Alcazar
Old 17 March 2005, 05:41 PM
WSPD
Scooby Regular

Yes I checked the wiring to make sure it wasn't caught or snagged on anything.

I checked the back of the gauge (was quite suprised to find the pod was only stuck down with double sided tape :0 )

I think the next step will be to try a working sender (If I can find one) or order a new one from defi.

Will send defi an email first.

Thanks for the tips
Old 18 March 2005, 12:52 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Isn't it easier to test the simplest-to-get-at bit first, i.e. the gauge. You could just connect your gauge to someone else's control unit and see if this works. If not then the gauge is suspect. If it's OK then check out the wiring then the sender.

If the gauge is jumpy, i.e. twitchy then it could be a dodgy connection / broken wire. If it's a steady reading but wrong then it's got more chance of being the sender although indistrial thermocouples tend to read full scale if they fail so the needle may be on the top reading...

This might be a daft question but you have got the sender in the correct hole in the block i.e. in the hole under the right hand side rear of the block under the intercooler? It needs to be in an oil passage that has flowing oil going past the end of the sender rather than where the pressure sender unit is under the alternator which is in an oil deadleg to get a static pressure...

just a few points to chuck in if they help...

Andy
Old 18 March 2005, 04:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

And you didn't mention checking the control unit?

Some of those mini plugs on the end of the wires are a bit suspect.

Do you have any OTHER Defi gauges, and are they working OK?

Alcazar
Old 18 March 2005, 05:18 PM
WSPD
Scooby Regular

I have checked the gauge, the connectors and all wiring from the gauge. I have traced the wiring from the gauge as far as the engine bay. I now need to get under the car to check its running and ensure it is not snagged, caught or torn on it's way to the block.

The sender is in the hole that you describe.

I have 3 gauges (2 oil, 1 boost), the other two are ok.

Should I be checking anything else with the control unit other than loose wires?

Last edited by WSPD; 18 March 2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 18 March 2005, 06:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

I now need to get under the car to check its running and ensure it is not snagged, caught or torn on it's way to the block.

The sender is in the hole that you describe

It's not, if you need to get UNDER the car to check on it. The hole most folk use is ON TOP of cylinder 3, (rear, o/s) just under the intercooler, with an Allen headed blanking plug in it, 8mm IIRC.

As regards the contol box, if your other gauges are OK, then the box PROBABLY is too. Check that the wire from sender to c/b is OK, not loose, or disconnected. It seems to be possible for one of the connector sleeves on the wire to come loose and not make contact with the box.

Alcazar