Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

How to change a steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 09:09 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, I was wondering how difficult it
is to change the airbag equiped steering wheel from my my97 turbo ? It has the older style interior.
I heard rumours that if I had changed the
wheel the indicators stalks would not self cancel.

[This message has been edited by kenny.c (edited 05 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 08:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Kenny, I'd seriously consider getting a dealer to do this.

Airbags are explosives, as you know, and playing with these things sounds like a job for the very experienced.

I apologise if you've got experience of this sort of stuff, but if you haven't I'd personally leave well alone.
Old 06 February 2001, 09:54 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Hi Kenny,

I did this on my MY98 car. As far as the airbags are concerned, disconnect the battery, (make sure the cable is well away from the terminal and can't accidentally touch) then let leave it to stand for half an hour to be safe to allow the capacitors to discharge. The airbag removal was simple enough, on mine it was two bolts either side of the wheel and then it pulls out, simply unclip the connector at the back of it and you're off.

To remove the centre wheel simply remove the centre bolt and sort of bash the wheel off repeatedly with the lower palm of your hand.

You'll also have to remove the indicator/horn slider unit thing behind, it's only three screws from memory.

You'll need a boss for a non airbag momo type wheel. I originally bought a momo one but don't use this as it's dangerous, the splines don't grip the shaft enough, they will only slide down 2mm or so instead of the full 8-10mm. Also the taper is wrong etc. I had mine machined but the machining company ballsed it up! Luckily I found a boss from an imported twin turbo legacy that fitted on perfectly and was much better built than the Momo boss, the splines were deeper and looked stronger. I believe the Momo boss is for non turbo cars or something as it's totally wrong for the Impreza turbo.

It's true that your indicators will not self cancel and horn won't work but some clever fettling (not too difficult will get the horn working again) you could also have something machined to self cancel the indicators (I did this with the momo boss and it worked but the boss was crap so I removed it) with the current boss my indicators don't self cancel but it doesn't bother me too much you just have to remember to do it like on a motorbike!

Your most difficult bit will be to source a boss. You could try a breakers for Jap spec bosses from Turbo jap spec wrx's (some of which had the Nardi wheel) or you could give GGR a ring who modify the momo ones I believe. When you put the new boss on don't overtighten the centre nut (IIRC torque should be 34nm ish..I'll have to double check that!!)

Hope this helps,
Nito

Old 06 February 2001, 07:21 PM
dik dangerous
Scooby Newbie

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NITO:
<B>Hi Kenny,

I did this on my MY98 car. As far as the airbags are concerned, disconnect the battery, (make sure the cable is well away from the terminal and can't accidentally touch) then let leave it to stand for half an hour to be safe to allow the capacitors to discharge. The airbag removal was simple enough, on mine it was two bolts either side of the wheel and then it pulls out, simply unclip the connector at the back of it and you're off.

To remove the centre wheel simply remove the centre bolt and sort of bash the wheel off repeatedly with the lower palm of your hand.

You'll also have to remove the indicator/horn slider unit thing behind, it's only three screws from memory.

You'll need a boss for a non airbag momo type wheel. I originally bought a momo one but don't use this as it's dangerous, the splines don't grip the shaft enough, they will only slide down 2mm or so instead of the full 8-10mm. Also the taper is wrong etc. I had mine machined but the machining company ballsed it up! Luckily I found a boss from an imported twin turbo legacy that fitted on perfectly and was much better built than the Momo boss, the splines were deeper and looked stronger. I believe the Momo boss is for non turbo cars or something as it's totally wrong for the Impreza turbo.

It's true that your indicators will not self cancel and horn won't work but some clever fettling (not too difficult will get the horn working again) you could also have something machined to self cancel the indicators (I did this with the momo boss and it worked but the boss was crap so I removed it) with the current boss my indicators don't self cancel but it doesn't bother me too much you just have to remember to do it like on a motorbike!

Your most difficult bit will be to source a boss. You could try a breakers for Jap spec bosses from Turbo jap spec wrx's (some of which had the Nardi wheel) or you could give GGR a ring who modify the momo ones I believe. When you put the new boss on don't overtighten the centre nut (IIRC torque should be 34nm ish..I'll have to double check that!!)

Hope this helps,
Nito

[/quote]

Nito.
I am in a similar predicament to Kenny.
I am also thinking of changing the wheel on my car. Three things really. Firstly does the airbag light stay off? Secondly are there any possible insurance implications if you remove the airbag. Lastly will the MOMO airbag wheel from the later facelift models fit straight on to an earlier model.
Old 06 February 2001, 07:40 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Dik

The airbag light will stay on, but it's easy to remove the bulb.

Insurance implications..(my insurance company NU were happy about it..particularly when I reminded them that with twin airbags it would save them over 2K in the event of a prang!!)

As for the later wheel..I couldn't tell you having never tried it but I believe some were attempting this a little while back and managed it successfully. Personally I wouldn't bother with the later wheel, although it looks good, at 380mm it's still way to big...It's much better for steering feel too, to fit a nice chunky thick rimmed 350mm Momo non airbag wheel!!

Regards,
Nito
Old 06 February 2001, 10:23 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nito !
Old 07 February 2001, 02:56 PM
dik dangerous
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NITO:
<B>Hi Dik

The airbag light will stay on, but it's easy to remove the bulb.

Insurance implications..(my insurance company NU were happy about it..particularly when I reminded them that with twin airbags it would save them over 2K in the event of a prang!!)

As for the later wheel..I couldn't tell you having never tried it but I believe some were attempting this a little while back and managed it successfully. Personally I wouldn't bother with the later wheel, although it looks good, at 380mm it's still way to big...It's much better for steering feel too, to fit a nice chunky thick rimmed 350mm Momo non airbag wheel!!

Regards,
Nito[/quote]

Cheers nito. You're a star!