Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Which 3 Guages to choose ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2001, 11:37 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

General question for those scooby owners with guages installed.

What did you go for ???

Obvious choice seems to be the Boost guage for the Turbo , but what else.... Oil pressure, temp, water...

Any views from those with guages, and whether they were worth it

Scott.
Old 22 January 2001, 09:01 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Scott, I've put a guide together about this very topic.
Old 22 January 2001, 10:00 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

Cheers for the info... Just what I was looking for...

Scott.
Old 22 January 2001, 11:10 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Scott,

I went for Turbo boost, oil temperature and oil pressure in order of importance for me!

Turbo boost is important for obvious reasons as it will warn of potentially dangerous overboosting or even confirming a performance drop from underboosting.

Oil temperature was very important to me. It's amazing how much longer the oil takes to warm up compared to water temp. Before fitting this gauge, I would give my car stick once the water temp was warmed up as per the std water temp gauge, luckily I've had the oil temp fitted from about 10,000 miles though as it takes quite a lot longer for oil temp to reach working temperature. I now don't thrash it until it reaches 70 degrees! So if you value the long term life of your engine then I'd definately recommend one of these, plus it'll also warn of too high an oil temp which can also cause problems!

Oil pressure is another good one to have as a precaution since it'll warn of oil surge or too low oil pressure.

Alternatively, or additionally, other gauges worth considering but only really worthwhile if your car is in a much higher state of tune than standard are Exhaust Gas Temperature (warns of rich/lean running), Fuel pressure (making sure the injectors are operating at the proper pressure and watch there is no pressure drop which could cause engine to run lean) and a more accurate water temperature gauge since the scale on the standard one seems to cover a large range of temps within the normal operating temp. It always seems to stay in the middle!

With all of the above the car would look more like a fighter jet cockpit than a road car but like the japanese say, "meters are a window into your engine!"

HTH
Nito
Old 22 January 2001, 05:06 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
hhmmmmm
i read with interest! looked at the links.

where do i fit a Turbo boost + oil temp gauge in a MY97 interior, as there aren't the centre fitments as with the MY98-on models, i know you can have a pod fitted against the windscreen/side pillar, but reading NITO's comments on oil temp warm up time i think thats important to have as well as the turbo boost gauge, don't you think???
what should they cost??? fitted?
doing that would be beyond me!!

Phil
Old 22 January 2001, 05:25 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Phil,

I know that Nito can supply you with a twin gauge pod, that attaches to the a-pillar.

So in theory you can have those two, as well as the usual one in the corner between the a-pillar and the windscreen!

I saw in the flesh with gauges at the last Fleet Meet, and was most impressed. If I still had my old MY97 I would have bought it there and then!!

Worth sending him an email, as I don't think there is anything on his website about these pods!!
Old 22 January 2001, 06:09 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Nito...

Definately pricing all this up at the moment. My insurance is due at the begining of March so I'm thinking of getting a list of mods ready for then..

Cheers,

Scott.