Centre console squeak

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2000, 02:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Guys

Hope someone can help. Since replacing the headunit with a decent Sony CD/Tuner, I have developed the dreaded centre console squeak. It seems to happen over bad roads as the dashboard flexes. Before I remove the stereo again, has anyone had any luck in tracing where the squeak comes from?

Happy Christmas and thanks for your help.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26 December 2000, 08:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris - I have noticed a similar problem, but since I replace the headunit on day 1 I don't know whether that was the cause. Certainly my CD/tuner has a lot more bulky wiring behind it than the orginal, with phono cables, fuse box etc and I had to push all the cables to one side and faff around a lot to get the thing to slide in and engage without it bulging the dash. It did rattle and does squeak over rough roads. Heath Robinson technique that stopped the rattles was a thin piece of blutak on top of the cage at the front edge before it was slid in - this seems to absorb some of the vibrations and once the surround is clipped on you don't see it. You needn't take the cage out to try it, could just wedge a slither in. May be worth a try? Can't think of anything else - if you do pls post so I can try it too.
Old 26 December 2000, 09:46 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I recently changed the factory stereo in my MY94 WRX for a sony headunit and noticed that I had a squeak from the central console also. I took the centre section to pieces again and refitted the stereo a few mm further forwards using a different set of holes in the surround/headunit. Since then I have had no squeak and getting the stereo face off is a bit easier too. Hope this is of some help

[This message has been edited by Charlie H (edited 26 December 2000).]
Old 26 December 2000, 09:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guys - if it warms up a bit tomorrow I will have a look at it

Cheers

Chris

BTW - if anyone else has any other thoughts, please feel free to post them up - Chris
Old 26 December 2000, 09:55 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Chris,
Drive along the motorway at about 70, look at your passenger until they scream, look where you're going, break to reduce the damage that will be caused - da daaaa! The sqeek disappears. All you can hear now is a voice saying 'you stupid idiot'.
Old 28 December 2000, 08:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

er..Thanks Triggaar

Chris - think I might try the blu-tak first
Old 18 January 2001, 09:20 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have you tried taking all the fascia off? It's an easy job and may fix the squeak, as mine was coming from the right-hand lower mounting point.

To remove the fascia, you need to pull up the surround around the gear lever and disconnect that from the bit in front of the handbrake.

Then pull the bottom of the fascia with the ashtray. The bottom should pop out - one clip on each side.

There's two clips at the top which are a swine. They just pull out, but there's a metal clip attached to the plastic which invariably falls off. Be careful and you can retrieve them without much grief.

Removal/refit cured my problems. YMMV.

Incidentally, I can do this one handed, as I discovered when I got my hand trapped in the ash-tray. D'oh.
Old 18 January 2001, 12:41 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know this sounds silly but it works for me. Simply pull out the ash tray and the sound goes away. Like your last comment I am waiting for the weather to get better before I have a proper look.
Old 18 January 2001, 06:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I've also noticed a squeak from the ashtray area - if ashtray removed it goes away - will investigate.
Old 19 January 2001, 09:22 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Surprised to see this thread resurrected . Chiark thanks for the post. I reckon it is connected to the new headunit that I fitted (didn't squeak before hand) and I have had some success with the blue tac !!

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 10:58 AM
stratman
Scooby Regular

I had squeaky rattly noise also....blasted everything with WD40, mopped up the excess
(with a Clinton-wipe) and bingo, no more rattles.