Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2000, 12:22 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A while back my dealer showed me a photo of a Boost Gauge which is available in Japan (poss an STI part) which is mounted on the steering column cowling. At the time, the gauge hadn't been approved by Subaru UK and therefore could invalidate the warranty.

Does anyone know if this is still the case, or whether there are any approved gauges that can be fitted?
Old 08 August 2000, 10:15 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Gotta say I'd be pretty amazed if a dealer wouldn't fix your car because you'd fitted a boost gauge! All it is is a pipe from the inlet manifold to the gauge, plus some electrical stuff for the lighting.

I thought the warranty would be invalidated if the fault arose as a consequence of modifying the car, which in this case I wouldn't think would be very likely. You could argue that having a boost gauge makes the car safer to drive...
Old 08 August 2000, 10:50 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

According to my dealer - IM will not allow dealers to fit boost gauges to UK cars under warranty, even official STI gauges. That is the 'official' line although some dealers will 'unofficially' fit them for you if you insist.

The dealer found the policy daft and said that the chances of any probs occuring as a result were very very unlikely.

Anyway - I got one fitted somewhere else.

My advice is if you want one - periodically check the hose is secured well and should you ever have any major engine probs you could always take it out before it goes into the dealer just to be on the safe side.

Rich.
Old 08 August 2000, 02:10 PM
Gustavo Martins
Scooby Regular

Question

By the way, how do you connect the boost gauge to the motor?? Is it necessary some kind of sensor/electronic device? Does the gauge gathers the info from the ECU?

Please, I would like to have precise info about where the gauge should connect and if this can be a DIY task...

Gustavo
Old 08 August 2000, 02:19 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

This is a very easy DIY job. There's even a pipe on the manifold to attach the hose from the gauge...there is one pipe that's blocked off with a rubber thingy, use that one, get the hose into the car (there are several ways to do this), and the lighting can be nicked off the cigarette lighter...

/Jerry - Sweden
Old 08 August 2000, 09:03 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

SecretAgentMan,

I have read in previous threads about connecting a boost gauge(something I want to do in near future), and connecting the hose to the inlet manifold. My Question is that I looked at my car (MY93WRX)and found 3 vaccumn hoses coming off the manifold, but no blank one. Can I use one of the other lines, by putting in a t-piece or will this affect what ever is at the other end of the line.

Cheers

Muddy.
Old 09 August 2000, 03:06 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Muddy

Yep you need to t into one of the existing pipes (can't remember which one it is off hand). It shouldn't affect anything because it will pressurise (or not I guess...) which would take account of the extra tubing. It's such a relatively little amount anyway that it wouldn't make any difference. Pete at ScoobySport would be able to tell you exactly which pipe to t into or I'm sure some of the other guys here would be able to help.
Old 10 August 2000, 01:17 AM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Richard, I'll look into It, unless anybody else with an early wrx knows more!!

Cheers,

Muddy.

[This message has been edited by muddy (edited 10 August 2000).]