Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Dial fitting help.

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 06:04 PM
scotishscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my new Reverse Indiglo Dials. The look easy enuff. How do i get my dash out??
Sounds a daft question but i just wana do it right!!

Cheers.
Old 23 November 2003, 06:39 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

there used to be a site which gave a good description but cant find it now do a search on white dial or similar & there are a few threads
Getting dash out is relatively easy bit just a case of unscrewing the screws you'll see (being carefull not to loose in black hole) & unplugging the various plugs you'll come across (ones at back of main console hardest to get hands onto) which year etc we talking bout here BTW as they do vary from time to time....?
Biggest likely problem will come when removing dials/needles as the spindle is particularly liable to break but it is a bit of hit & hope as to whether it does bust..... My safe solution was to (after breaking 2 rev dials ) melt needles off with soldering iron & replace with the numerous spares i had depends if u can get sum additional needles thou i guess?
Another tip for removing fuel & temp dials i found was to use small pair of scissors & a pair of nail clippers to hack away without putting any strain on the actual needle/spindle which i have seen a healthy amount of posts from ppl who have bust said bits
I believe many dials are "no need to remove needle" types but but i found this usually doesnt refer to speedo & rev but they may do now
Not looking to scare you as i am a numpty, it's not that hard a job to phyisically do & requires very little technical expertese (i have none lol) but the gauges themselves can bbe very fragile although unpredictable as many have used 2 spoon & hairdryer technique with no problems whatso ever but as i say no guarantees but spares can be obtained easy enough from the various scooby breakers
Ask away if i can help further...?
Si
Old 24 November 2003, 02:45 PM
scotishscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Got them in and they look sweet.
Now i need to get a new temp AND petrol guages!!
Dont care what ppl say about the needles comeing off. THEY DONT!!!!
Old 24 November 2003, 03:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

with the lockwood uns you didnt need to take the fuel & temp uns off but they are still a bit temperamental even cuttinf old faces off so if u had to try 2 spoon technique on those then not surprised they bust u want the list of breakers i have who i found most handy when breaking bits?
Si
Old 24 November 2003, 04:39 PM
scotishscooby
Scooby Regular

Thy werent lockwood ones mate. So i had no choice. I cut the speedo and rev dials off and the new ones just sliped over the needles. Just wondering if i could of just put the new dials over the top of the old ones??? Hmm!! Thought for next time!!!

Got a list of breakers. Gona fone round 2morow.
Thanks for your help.