Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

3 x 52mm Gauges into OE Subaru Pod

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2003, 07:27 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have me gauges and me pod, I can see some cutting/trimming needs to done to to get them to fit each other.

Can someone who has done this give me some advice on what they did, tools used, any hints and tips to do a neat profesional job.

Thanks

Paul
Old 17 May 2003, 08:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Just done it on a Scoobymania pod.
My holes, (well, those in the pod: ), had to be 60mm, and I couldn't find a 60mm cutter anywhere. I used a 54 mm cutter out of a set I have, and ground it out, a bit at a time, VERY carefully, with a sander drum on a Dremel. What I forgot was that the pod has fibreglass in it, and I got the powder all over my arms, and spent the next 2 days scratching!:
On yours, a 52 mm hole shouldn't be a prob.
Find the centre of the face of the pod, as regards top to bottom, and mark a pencil line right across.Make sure it's horizontal!
Measure the face of one of the gauges across the OUTER edge, half it, and add about 3-5 mm.
Now mark off this distance from the edge of the pod, along the pencil line, from BOTH left and right hand edges.
Measure the distance between the 2 marks you just made, and put another mark exactly half way between. These are your centres. Once you're satisfied with them (see next paragraph), mark again using a sharp point, tiny drill etc.Sharp point preferred if you aren't using a hole saw!
At this point, I'd be inclined to check that the gauges will fit: Mark where their outer edges will be, and lay them face down on the pod to see the effect.
If all is OK, scribe with dividers,(I borrowed the youngest's compasses, and put a filed nail in them!!), where the outer edge will be. CARE!!!
Now use a holesaw of the correct diameter to drill/saw out the holes.Check for fit, and file/grind/sand out to the scribed line if necessary.
Holesaws can be had for a few quid from Wickes/market stalls etc, and while not suitable for plumbing etc, are OK for a one-off like this. Just use them on a slow speed.
If no hole saw, drill small holes around the inside of the scribed line, knock out the centre, and finish with file/sandpaper/grinder.
Hope this is of help.
Alcazar
Old 19 May 2003, 10:57 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

I got a plate from a guy in the states which allows you to fit the gauges into the OEM pod. I will post his details from home tonight if I have time.
Old 19 May 2003, 02:01 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

necromax

That would ace if you could

Cheers

Paul
Old 20 May 2003, 01:33 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

As promised, a little late.. the guys name is Derres, he lives out in California. You can contact him on dcatapult@hotmail.com, he will give you the details of the plate kit that he can supply you. I'll see if I can get you a picture of how mine looks..
Old 20 May 2003, 07:49 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

necromax

Thanks for the info, 1.30 in the morning according to the post, I didn't need the info that quick, could have waited until a reasonable hour. I've sent off an enquiry and look forward to photo if you can manage it

Cheers

Paul
Old 20 May 2003, 10:59 AM
BAH
Scooby Regular

i would like to see the pics too...